1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best textbook for French KS3

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by alocinmaharg, May 22, 2020.

1. alocinmaharg

alocinmaharg New commenter

Hi I am looking for advice for an appropriate textbook for teaching Year 7/8 French to my child as a good preparation for taking the GCSE French exam in Wales. Has anyone got a good recommendation for this as teaching him myself outside of school? He is learning Welsh and Spanish at school but started French at Primary. A quick look online had shown Studio or Expo and a new course called Dynamo?
    Suggestions gratefully received.

thanks

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Is there a specific reason you want them to learn French as well as the other 2 languages? Having done 3 languages myself I did find it difficult sometimes to separate them and had to constantly ask myself 'is this rule just for German ? Or just for French or Latin as well or jsut Latin. French and Spanish are both Latin languages and very similar, but do have some different rules. If they do well in Spanish they could easily pick up French in probably under a year. I did that with Spanish when I decided to add it to my languages and that was teaching myself.

As to textbook there is usually a textbook attached to the specific exam board, so find out which board they're likely to sit and look online which textbook is attached. That way the vocab will be specifically related to the exam.

Also have you considered how to approach the 'oral' element. Do you speak French yourself for practice and advice on pronunciation?

3. parkert

parkert New commenter

Dynamo is brilliant as it is in line with the new GCSE formats