1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best teaching scheme for KS3 Maths?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by LCR1970, Aug 14, 2015.

1. LCR1970

LCR1970 New commenter

I am starting a new job in September, teaching KS3 Maths & Science at a SEN secondary school.

I am experienced Science teacher, but I have never taught Maths before. The Maths department has been rather neglected over the last few years and as a result the school's KS3 Maths teaching scheme needs updating.

The school already has some of the text books, activity packs and teachers books for the Oxford "Framework Maths" teaching scheme. I am thinking about going over to this completely, as a quick fix for the inadequate KS3 SoW.

Please could I ask if this is the best one available for KS3? I need a scheme that covers from below level 1 (P levels) right through to level 6/7. Or is there something better i should look at?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

2. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

I've used Oxford framework maths for several years. It is good, but a few years old. Your problem may be ordering more copies of books etc if you do not have enough. There is a worksheet pack that goes from P levels through levels 1 and 2 that ties in nicely with the mainstream books.

As a stop gap I would recommend it, if you have enough of each of the books as I mentioned before.

With all the curriculum changes I imagine all publishers will be updating their schemes soon if not already.

link to Oxford:

global.oup.com/.../;jsessionid=890FFA0174FB0246C61CA721DF1A795B

3. LCR1970

LCR1970 New commenter

Thanks very much strawbs, that's really helpful.

I have the 7 Basics worksheet pack, which I think is the one you're describing. (Although very annoyingly, someone had borrowed some of the sheets and not returned them).

I also have quite a few of the Yr7 text books at the various levels and the 7S teachers book. But the CD-Rom is missing and I'm not sure if I should buy the 7A teachers book or any of the Yr8 / Yr9 teachers books, to go with the text books we've already got....

Lucy.

4. strawbs

the teachers books don't necessarily offer that much more than the answers...I seem to remember there are some tests and things there, but I don't recall using them much. Also don't recall ever seeing or using a CD-Rom!

Amazon or Ebay may have some used copies at cheaper prices...

The basics pack we had was a electronic version.

5. LCR1970

LCR1970 New commenter

Thanks, I have found the Teachers Books on Amazon (secondhand) for £2.81!!

They have lesson plans in them as well as the answers, which correspond to each double page spread of the pupils books. So although they'll probably need modifying it's a useful place for a rookie Maths teacher like me to start!

Please could I ask you Strawbs, have you ever used any other teaching schemes that can be "bought in" ...? Or would you say most Maths Departments write their own schemes, so don't bother with buying in something that's been written externally?

For KS3 Science, lots of schools use "Exploring Science" - which has pupils books, worksheets, Teacher's Books with lesson plans, online resources etc etc. So a Head of Science could buy the whole the thing in if they wanted a ready made KS3 SoW. So I'm wondering if there's a Maths equivalent?

Lucy.

6. strawbs

from my experience of schools I have worked in (going back 20 odd years) most these days would write their own schemes, or tweak published ones. Certainly when I look back I use text books far less now than I used to. However I still like to have a reliable book to use - maybe once or twice a week as opposed to every lesson.

Have a look on kangaroo maths for free SoW. http://www.kangaroomaths.com/kenny2.php

Will you be the sole maths teacher at this school? Or HoD? If not, could be worth waiting until you are there to see what its what.

NB I have only ever taught in large main stream schools, not SEN/special.