1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best teacher in the world?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Lalex123, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Lalex123

Lalex123 Occasional commenter

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Lalex123 likes this.
  3. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Compassman likes this.
  4. asnac

asnac Established commenter

Me too - which suggests we are not the sort of people ever likely to be nominated ;)

Pomza, sparkleghirl and Lalex123 like this.
  5. elder_cat

elder_cat Established commenter

Why would you want to? Imagine having to live up to that expectation every day !!:eek:

sparkleghirl likes this.
  6. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Except as outlined above you could get out of teaching with the money!

Shedman, Lalex123 and elder_cat like this.
  7. klavender85

klavender85 New commenter

Also, if this prize money is coming from America, the winner will get hit with up to 40% tax on it!

My husband is American and he has family who are teachers in America. Bill Gates has stamped his name on some highly funded grants for schools and scholarships but its ended up to be a disaster. It has caused even more stress with teachers having to be more accountable and teach in a certain way in order to receive raises and funds for schools. In my Debbie Downer mind, this whole thing is just to cover up the mess and dodgy politics going on in education in the states and UK. We all know there isnt just one great teacher in the world!

A school I worked at years ago used to give out 'Teacher of the month' awards. *eye rolls*

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  8. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

It doesn't come from the states - it comes from the UAE (although the HQ is in London.)

Perhaps Mr Varkey would be better off reinvesting his money into his (for profit) schools, rather than messing around with grand demonstrations designed to flatter his ego, and provide a talking point while at Ascot or Henley this summer.

Lalex123 likes this.
  9. drek

drek Lead commenter

Best teacher, best colour for a car, best way to lose weight...........best left to google to decide lol.......

Lalex123 likes this.
  10. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

I used to work with "The Best Teacher in the World" - both of them!
    It wasn't much fun.

Lalex123, Shedman and JL48 like this.
  11. Benbamboo

Benbamboo Occasional commenter

It's not that big of a deal as it's only an annual award.

I got a few cards last summer that said "best teacher ever."

12. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Established commenter

'You may be best teacher in the world, but during our observation we noticed you used the wrong shade green to mark with and failed to explain quantum theory to the year 3 child in you art lesson, when they used the word string in passing . RI I'm afraid'

13. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

I was about to use the old cliché 'Many a true word spoken in jest' but it's very hard in education these days to tell what is jest or even what is truth.

Lalex123 likes this.