1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best Staffmeeting you ever had!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by tillyanne, Jan 25, 2011.

1. We sit through scores, but which one made an impact on you? How was it delivered? What was it on? And how did it change the way you teach!

2. We sit through scores, but which one made an impact on you? How was it delivered? What was it on? And how did it change the way you teach!

3. Best staff meeting? For me it's when there isn't one and i get more time o play catch up!

4. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

We had a Pie Corbett one from a member of staff who had been on his course. It was a demonstration so we did some word generation based on an image, followed by a poetry activity. Look at the picture - what 5 things do you notice about it? Take each thing that stands out and write a descriptive line magpieing from the word generation.

There was another activity that I can only vaguely remember, choose an item e.g the moon and put it into a simile (The moon was like a saucer shining in the sky) then change it to a metaphor (the moon was a saucer shining in the sky) then play around with the word order and use the metaphor as an adjective (the saucer moon shone in the sky) sorry for the unimaginative examples, im braindead today!. I now use my own version of word generation whenever I want to uplevel the language used and try to extend my highers with the metaphor work.

5. great response!

6. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

Any that is short and doesn't end in more work to do.
    Any that doesn't involve everyone debating the most rediculous stuff that could be sorted in 2 minutes if someone could ever make a decision.

7. Surely best staff meeting is one of those things that can't exist (is it an oxymoron?) like most exciting new initiative.

8. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

A cancelled one!

9. Yup, you beat me to it- the words best & staff meeting- surely an oxymoron!!

10. Any staff meeting where we aren't just reading through the SEF!
    Any staff meeting that involves actual discussion and not just listening.

11. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I worked in a nice school once where the HT gathered us all in the staffroom to await the guest speaker. It was near the end of term and we were all knackered, so trooped along very grumpily, moaning all the way.
    "He'll be here any minute, " she said, looking out of the window at the car park. Then we heard a car pull up and prepared for the boredom to set in.
    But no! It was a pizza delivery man, and we had wine and pizza and a big Well Done from HT for working hard all term. It was lovely, so simple and easy to do, and it made us all love our HT so much and want to work hard for her in the next term, too.

12. <h5>Arr lardylegs that is so nice, I wish our head would do that!</h5>

13. Indeed.

14. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

I'm looking forward to my team's meeting on Thursday in the office, which is when I'll tell them that I have a conditional offer for my PGCE at Cambridge. 17 years with the firm. There will be shock, followed by "I knew you were up to something..."

15. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

yo should go to the head teacher forum where some heads are moaning we yawn and talk in his meetings and wants to call us to order.

16. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

Any meeting where we don't get told how **** we are is a bonus. Otherwise usually demoralising waffle.