1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best Sherlock Holmes actor - poll

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lanokia, Feb 9, 2016.

?

Which actor portrayed Holmes the best?

1. Benedict Cumberbatch

45.5%
  2. Basil Rathbone

18.2%
  3. Johnny Lee Miller [Elementary]

6.1%
  4. Jeremy Brett

45.5%
  5. Peter Cushing

9.1%
  6. Robert Downey Jr

3.0%
  7. Ellie Norwood

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Arthur Wontner

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Douglas Wilmer

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other

9.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

So I like Sherlock Holmes stories, TV shows and films... not an uber-fan or anything so don't ask me about the characterisation on page 7 of a Study in Scarlet ... but I enjoy them.

Who is your favourite Holmes?

And why?

I like the old Basil Rathbone film, something quaint and fun about them [and a fair few on youtube]. Cumberbatch is decent enough, not seen Elementary. I suspect my parents would name Jeremy Brett.

sabrinakat likes this.
  2. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've read quite a few of the original Holmes stories, and think Jeremy Brett had it absolutely nailed, ably assisted by the production team who provided the period atmosphere.

I didn't like the recent movies one bit. The Cumberbatch/Freeman TV reboot is interesting, and generally well done.

wanet and cissy3 like this.
  3. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Brett...

4. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

The Downey Jr movies were very silly... some good stylistic choices in the filming but lacking much weight and depth.

I haven't seen much of Brett's work to really judge.

5. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

I would have picked Jeremy if I could have chosen two.

6. eggyspice

eggyspice Occasional commenter

Definitely Basil. All this other agenda, especially tinted landladies detracts from the plot.

7. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

You can pick two.

I set it to have two choices. Not sure why, I just figured one for TV and one for film.

racroesus likes this.
  8. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

9. HelenREMfan

HelenREMfan Star commenter

Peter Cushing...... the aquiline nose..... fervent eyes..... lively demeanour but capability to lapse into a reverie.......

I was always a keen Peter Cushing fan.

10. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

11. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

Jeremy Brett, with his patrician nose and air of superiority.

Benedict Cucumberpatch because I think he is an alien.

12. jacob

jacob Lead commenter

Peter Cushing was good. Douglas Wilmer did beeb version in the late 60s, not bad. Basil Rathbone did the character well, but the films were awful. Jeremy Brett, marvelous fruity luvvie voice and intense. Cumberdick Bendybatch ok, but I get bored with the convoluted plots and usually give up (Hobbitfeatures as Holmes is pathetic). Robert Downey Junior too showy and Hollywood.

13. Vladimir

Vladimir Senior commenter

Jeremy Brett. Hands down!

14. Odo

Odo New commenter

Clive Merrison from the BBC radio adaptions of the complete Holmes cannon. He just broght them to life, and his voice just is Holmes as I see him. He is the only actor to have played Holmes in adaptations of every single Conan Doyle short story and novel about the character.

Michael Williams played a 'proper' Watson to.

15. xena-warrior

xena-warrior Star commenter

Basil was more of the period. Sherly was a faulty, complex character and Jeremy successfully portrayed more of that than I really wanted.

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  16. armandine2

armandine2 Established commenter

17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Hmmm not a Richard Roxburgh fan after seeing him in Moulin Rouge and Van Helsing.

18. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Jeremy Brett.

19. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Wondering if the popularity of Mr Brett is tied more to the age of posters than his talents...

I say that innocently, I haven't really got an opinion on him either way.

20. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I like the Cummerbund series but I think Johnny Lee Miller has also done well in a reimagining which focuses on the dysfunctional nature of Holmes. I think you need that edge to work against the otherwise insufferable smugness.