1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best schools for dependents

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by qualiteacher, Nov 17, 2019.

1. qualiteacher

qualiteacher New commenter

Hello All,
    I am a single parent looking to return to overseas teaching and would appreciate some advice. The most important thing to me is that my children will receive an amazing education. Which places should I be looking for? Am fairly open as to where I go but would need free school spaces for two children plus good medical. It would need to be a city where they could still pursue dance and music to a high standard.
    Thanks everyone!

2. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

There are so, so many schools. You'd need to narrow things down

3. qualiteacher

I was just after some recommendations for schools that offer free places for dependents. I know that some schools ask for a percentage of school fees but I couldn’t afford that on one salary. I wondered if anyone had personal recommendations for schools that provide an excellent education for the children and great opportunities for performing arts. I don’t mind where but ideally it would be in a larger city with childcare options.

4. mermy

mermy Occasional commenter

I reckon about 90% of good schools offer free child places. Very rarely they ask for a percentage of the cost and then it's mostly for a third child. So I really wouldn't worry about that. See what jobs come up and take it from there, it's good that you are open to anything.

yasf and dumbbells66 like this.
  5. Oli_K

Oli_K New commenter

There is probably at least 200 schools in Asia alone that offer what you want. All adverts on TES should tell if you get free places or not. Have a look a jobs for your subject and then post which countries you have seen jobs, then people might be able to give you the advice you are after.

6. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

Plenty of good-outstanding schools around the world. Problem is the plethora of teacher-parents (single and couples) are after the same thing - - outstanding level of education for the least amount of expense$£€.

7. adrixargentina

adrixargentina Occasional commenter

Search Associates' database has this sort of information.

8. qualiteacher

Thank you

9. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

Also, consider additional costs. In some schools, places are free but things like dinners, uniform, books etc might not be included.

Top this off with the cost of dance/music lessons.

I'm not saying it's impossible, far from it. Just some things to consider when looking at adverts/at interview.

worlo24 likes this.
  10. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

I'd second adrixargentina's point - you probably want to sign up to Search Associates (it's free if you're in the UK) as well as some other agencies and look on TES.

Being flexible with regards to location is great as you are more likely to get a school which suits, but you probably also need to consider more carefully which city. You might also find that many of the performing arts options are delivered as extra curricular activities in your school too. Do you have any preference for countries? Would you be comfortable in a city with fewer expats, and where your kids might be the only Westerners in the school? Or would you prefer somewhere like Bangkok or Shanghai where there is more of a mix? What ages are your kids - it can be a big adjustment for a teenager, for example.

11. qualiteacher

Thanks. I think I will join Search. I don’t really have a preference for countries but I definitely don’t want them to be the only westerners as I’ve been in that situation before. Mine will be year 7 and Year 5. I am thinking more towards the big cities........

12. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

Cities are still fine - you'll find lots of them! Just be alert to schools which advertise dual passport holders as westerners (i.e. kids in Egypt who have a US passport, but they only spent 3 months there at the time they were born.) Search gives some figures on this which help but you do sometimes need to drill further down.

13. worlo24

worlo24 New commenter

As mentioned there are a lot of extra costs at some schools with free places such as trips, branded uniforms, lunches etc so be really clear on what you need to pay for and what is actually free