1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best School Awards - a good thing?

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by socrates82, May 15, 2012.

1. socrates82

socrates82 Occasional commenter

Saw on Reporting Scotland there that a secondary in Dumbarton is in the running to be named Britain?s best school.The janitors were interviewed saying that some teachers were in at 6.30 am and others in school till 9.00 pm.
    Do our contributors think "Best School" awards are a good thing?

2. Not if out encourages ridiculous working hours...

3. 6:30 till 21:00 That struck me too ! Obviously, time management was not part of the criteria !

4. Freddie92

Freddie92 Occasional commenter

I totally am against educational awards in all forms except ones for pupils. Best school or best Headteacher or best teacher etc = utter nonsense.

Also it is a silly notion to think long hours inside a building equates to working hard or indeed being efficient or effective. Long working hours usually mean people have circumstances ie no social life, or they don't want to go home to their partners, or they are incompetent and need time to catch up, or they have to get in ridiculously early because they drop someone off.

You are allowed to work from home!

Also some of the biggest skivers around stay late but leave as soon as the rest of the department are off but claim they were in to 6pm!

5. I totally agree with Freddie. I go in for the bell and leave about 45 mins after (I'd leave earlier but this suits for childcare reasons) but still consider myself a good teacher. I work efficiently so don't need to work all the hours claimed in the first post. Utter nonsense.

6. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Not being familiar with this particular school or indeed any school in Dumbarton,do we know what makes it the best school in Scotland? Is it the results? Has it improved drastically? Is it the perceived dedication of staff members?

7. If I was in school those hours the only awards I would win was worst girlfriend and most tired and most grumpy teacher of the year!

8. catmother

catmother Star commenter

But the kids would LOVE you! How dare you thinking you should have a live outside school?