1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best savings potential in Africa?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by elvispresley1956, Oct 11, 2018.

1. elvispresley1956

elvispresley1956 New commenter

Calling all teachers who work in the beautiful continent of Africa!

Experienced teaching couple with family looking for work, but only with a decent school for us, our two kids and with savings potential.

By savings, we mean at least £30k in the bank every year.

Yes, we can live frugally!

Please "conversation" me with some names, or discuss on this thread using nicknames/metaphors for schools.

Thank you!

2. stopwatch

stopwatch Lead commenter

I think Dumbbells works in Africa and often espouses the salaries there. I am sure he can help you out.

yasf likes this.
  3. february31st

february31st Established commenter

China you could bank one salary of 45000GBP and still live like royalthiy.

Several schools obtain 98% pass rates for IGCSE and place students in the top 100 universities of the world.

Other Asian countries have pay and conditions that match your expectations like South Korea, Japan, Thailand and Malaysia to name a few.

The number of top schools in Africa is limited to a handful. Can you narrow down your countries as Africa includes, Egytp, Libiya, Nigeria, Sudan, Yemin, Somalia and other war zones.

spurs78 likes this.
  4. 576

576 Established commenter

I've never heard of Yemin but Yemen isn't in Africa.

yasf likes this.
  5. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

I think part of it is, think officially it straddles two continents.

6. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

It's on the Arabian Peninsular no part is on the African continent.

576 likes this.
  7. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Socotra. Unless that's now Saudi of course.

8. yasf

yasf Established commenter

Spelling and Geography aren't Brexiteers strong points . .

@dumbbells66 's school has to be one of the top payers. I'd ask him.

spurs78 likes this.
  9. elvispresley1956

Hi all, yes dumbbells has been helpful, thank you. However, he mentioned IB schools are the ones to go for which is great but no names given. I've done my research and have a good idea now, but a list would be great, even if it's only 3 or 4.

10. steluta

steluta New commenter

There aren’t that many, 30 k GBP is actually a lot of money for many schools around the world. Top schools( non-profit) in my opinion: IS Kenya, IS Tanganyka, IS Moshi, Luanda IS, ICS Addis, BIS Cairo, Cairo American College, perhaps one of the Kampala schools. There might be 2 or 3 additional schools, not sure about safety in other places. I know a bit more about East Africa than the western part. It is a great continent, not for everyone, and life can be tough at times( power cuts, lack of clean water, poor local health care). Money shouldn’t be the main driver for going there, I am not trying to patronise people here.

576 likes this.
  11. steluta

steluta New commenter

There aren’t that many, 30 k GBP is actually a lot of money for many schools around the world. Top schools( non-profit) in my opinion: IS Kenya, IS Tanganyka, IS Moshi, Luanda IS, ICS Addis, BIS Cairo, Cairo American College, perhaps one of the Kampala schools. There might be 2 or 3 additional schools, not sure about safety in other places. I know a bit more about East Africa than the western part. It is a great continent, not for everyone, and life can be tough at times( power cuts, lack of clean water, poor local health care). Money shouldn’t be the main driver for going there, I am not trying to patronise people here. I lived there some time ago and have friends who left last year. Good luck!

spurs78 likes this.
  12. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Joburg

yasf likes this.
  13. elvispresley1956

Fantastic, than you

14. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

I have sent you a conversation

spurs78 likes this.
  15. steluta

steluta New commenter

I forgot to say that tax can be 30% in East Africa, and top salaries would be 50-56 k USD/year. Only a few schools will pay this kind of money, and Angola would probably be tax free, though I heard some not so pleasant stories about people not getting paid on time there.

16. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Oh dear. Yet another rather dull thread about "big" salaries for teachers.

None of the above posts has much to say about the cost of living. When Mr and Mrs Hippo were in Kenya, we found that keeping a car on the road was a big hole in the pocket. Because the roads were so bad, you used more fuel and needed more car repairs. In Nairobi, second hand cars were also a lot more expensive than in the UK. If the OP has two children, then things like school uniforms and extras will take some big bites out of even the largest salary.