1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best salary Europe

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by MayaJones, Apr 6, 2016.

1. MayaJones

MayaJones New commenter

Hi,

I am curious to know the best package in Europe. I would imagine it is in Switzerland or Austria.

After all deductions including taxes, rent, bills and food what are you left with? In my case I am left with 2200 Euros after paying tax, rent, bills, food, Internet and mobile phone. Is that quite good for Europe? Anyone in Switzerland doing better than that in an un-promoted post?

thanks!

2. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

I'm starting to tefl in Italy and I'm grossing 2000euros per month so you're doing better than I will. I'm hoping to make 100euro a week cash in hand though teaching privately. What's your gross salary?

3. karel

karel Occasional commenter

There are certain schools in Eastern Europe where you can take home considerably more than that, but this is coming from a tax free salary, with rent covered by an additional allowance, tax free tuition, and private medical covered by the school. The downside is that you are not paying into a national insurance or pension scheme, like you would be doing in many other European countries.

4. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

How long is a piece of string? What do you make after you pay for everything? In my experience, that has more to do with the individual and less with the salary. True, if musikteech is earning 2,000, he's not going to be left with 2,200 after rent etc. But I've seen many people blow through completely adequate salaries, saving nothing, while others were able to put away substantial savings.
    MayaJones sounds like a saver to me. But if she gives in to the temptation of a flat with an additional 50 square meters, gets a bigger data plan, and starts eating in fancier restaurants, her 2,200 will evaporate. I suspect she has a colleague or two already "suffering" that fate.

5. musikteech

Well there's 25% tax in Italy so I won't be left with 2000euros. I've got my eye on a indian restaurant in Turin and it's 12 euro for chicken masala and 6 euro for a big bottle of Cobra so I'll be in there once a week.. I plan using Italy as a stepping stone to an EAL position at an international school where I might earn 3000euro a month. I emailed one international school in Milan to ask what their salary range was after seeing a job advertised, but received no response.

6. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

My brother in law got offered a job once in Switzerland, and on paper the salary looked amazing. Then when you subtract things like rent, taxes, food, car, insurence etc, he worked out he would be left with practically nothing. You really do have to look at this "packages" closely to see what you actually come home with.

sabrinakat likes this.
  7. 576

576 Established commenter

I'm in my 4th school (2nd overseas). My 1st overseas job was the best paid of all my jobs. But it was the least enjoyable and the most soul-destroying. My 2nd overseas post pays less than my previous 3 schools. However, the children are a pleasure to teach and I feel that I'm doing something more worthwhile than just earning money.

Money and the 'package' are really not the be-all and end-all.

8. musikteech

:eek: Unless you work in Saudi:D

9. musikteech

How much was your brother in law offered in Switzerland revans66 then? Surely it can't be that expensive to rent can it?

10. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Cant remember the exact figures now, because it was about 6 years ago. The salary was around the €100 000 mark, but that then put them into the higher tax band, so that significantly dropped their earnings. Then they had to pay rent, 3 kids in toe, so that was rediculously expensive, plus they had to pay for the third child to be schooled, the school only covered the first two.... you can see how this good amount on paper quickly drops down. They eventually went to Peru, where thy earnt tax free, had all the kids education paid for, and accomodation provided. You sometimes really have to look closely what is included in some of these packages, to see their true potential

11. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I live in Switzerland, and have been here for nearly a decade. All of the above is true. The salary in Swiss state schools is even greater than that in international schools.

There are schools, however, that give that salary, plus accommodation, bills and schooling completely covered. They are extremely competitive to get into though. Up to a couple of hundred applicants for any opening is the norm, including maths and physics posts.

12. musikteech

Not worth applying for then if the chances of getting the job are that slim. That 100k salary is prob 60k net if tax is 40% say. It's more than you can get in the ME I think. Cushy lifestyle if you're lucky enough to get it. It must be the highest salary in Europe surely.

13. MayaJones

MayaJones New commenter

I am not in Switzerland, but rather the Balkans. Just wondered if my deal was better than Switzerland after all the deductions I mention in my opening thread.

14. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

It depends upon the school, but generally no.

15. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Hmm. The salary is only one side of the coin. Cost of living is just as important. In Saudi I earned a lot more and so did Mrs H, but in Egypt we saved probably saved more because we did not have so many expenses. In my experience, running a car is a huge hole in the pocket.

16. karel

karel Occasional commenter

MayaJones, whereabouts in the Balkans are you!

17. todor

todor New commenter

Hi Maya, so cool! I come originally from the Balkans, and planning to go either back there or somewhere else in Eastern Europe. In which country do you teach? Is this EAL/EFL or international school? Would be nice to get in touch. :)

18. steluta

steluta New commenter

I would say Switzerland in Western Europe, as wages are higher and taxes much lower(10-30%). You will not be in a very high tax band on 100k, and many schools pay that to a teacher with no additional responsibility. You should be able to save money in Switzerland, despite the high rent and health insurance costs. Places like Warsaw( the American School) are also competitive as they are tax free plus all perks.