1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best revison guides for primary interview exams??

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by sparkleshine, Nov 15, 2011.

1. sparkleshine

sparkleshine New commenter

I'm not sure about Science tests as I know not all providers have them, but for most Primary PGCE maths tests you don't just need to know KS3, you need to know GCSE level maths. I was told by UEL (I've applied this year) to revise GCSE maths and a little of the level just below it. I also applied last year to different places and the test I undertook was GCSE level.
    I've got the CGP GCSE Maths Complete Revision and Practice book and would really recommend it as it explains everything really clearly. There are constant practice questions and even exam papers so you can review your knowledge. I've found it really helpful so far. I think it's about £13 from Waterstones but I'm sure you could get it cheaper on Amazon.
    Good luck with it all!

2. luv_a_duck

luv_a_duck New commenter

When I contacted the IoE to ask what the level of their English and Maths written tests for Primary PGCE, this was there response:
    "It is a short written test set at about keystage 2 level."
    So that takes it to Year 6 level - not too difficicult....I hope! [​IMG]

3. sparkleshine

I would just like to warn you that I applied for the Primary PGCE at IOE last year and took the test and it was definitely not KS2 - it was GCSE level, which they also told us when we got there, e.g. there was a little algebra, standard form, nth term, probability. I wasn't prepared for a lot of that and so I struggled and actually failed the test - which led to me getting rejected as I scored excellently on the interview and presentation. I've applied somewhere else and done a lot more revision this time so hopefully I should be ok though!
    I'm not trying to scare you, just wanting to make sure you're more prepared than I was. I would revise some of the main non-calculator GCSE Maths topics just to be sure.

4. sparkleshine

Well I think they're reviewing their tests since last year so this may change, but last year there was a series of statements and we had to correct the grammar/spelling. Then there was a passage from the Iron Man by Ted Hughes and we had to pick out various things from the text, e.g. homophones, similes, etc. Wasn't hard I promise!

5. Great, thanks so much for the reply.