1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best prep for PGCE Post Compulsory?

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by anon326, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Hello
    Well done for getting onto the PGCE course.
    For my preparation, I was told to spend the week before the course started doing a week of observations in a variety of subjects in my local secondary school and then write an essay on what makes a good teacher. If you haven't already been advised to do that, I'd suggest that if you can, it might be worth asking if you can do the same for a day. This time of the year is a bit quiet and the first few weeks of term are really hectic in colleges. Otherwise, I'd suggest that you do the same for a college if you can.
    Other preparation would be to start looking at the specs for the courses that you'll be expected to teach in your placement college and maybe come up with some questions that you might want to ask your mentor or PGCE tutor when you start the course.
    Hope this helps and good luck!

2. Thanks!

3. Hi there, I am starting my PGCE post comp at the IOE in September. As well as reading the Geoff Petty book, I have also started to get some resources together for the classes I will teach just to make the lessons more fun and interactive. I guess during this time we have more time on our hands. I am going to be teaching Psychology and have found some great stuff on TES. Check it out for your chosen subject. Hope this helps and good luck with the course

4. Read 'Preparing to Teach in the Lifelong Learning Sector' by A Gravells. I brough the book at the start of my PGCE and got loads of use out of it for my essays. It's published by Learning Matters and every book that I read of theirs was really informative and easy to read. They have a whole series of QTLS based books http://www.learningmatters.co.uk/subjectlist.aspx?subject=Education