1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best practice day heads up

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Kittyb74, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Kittyb74

Kittyb74 New commenter

Hi
    I'm doing the HLTA but not over the 3 days what most seem to be on. I've had several short sessions covering various topics and covering standards over the last 3 months.
    Can anyone give me an idea about what to expect on the Best Practice Day. It's all day opposed to my normal 2 hour fortnightly sessions.

Many thanks

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Sorry, only having experience of the 3 day preparation course, I have no idea what your Best Practice Day will cover - but I'll be really interested to hear, so please do let us know. Enjoy the day and hope your course is going well.

3. Kittyb74

Kittyb74 New commenter

Will do. I'm getting there. Looking forward to it all being over, just hoping I don't fail. My biggest concern is that my portfolio of evidence is nothing like they expect it to beband then I'll have to work like mad to do it all over again. I don't feel we have had much guidance as to how it should be set out. So unsure if how I've put it together is right.

4. sunshineneeded

I'm sure you're doing OK, but I hope they give you more guidance about your portfolio on the Best Practice Day.

5. Kittyb74

Kittyb74 New commenter

Hi Sunshine
    The Best Practice Day was brilliant. If that had been my first,second, third or fourth session of my course I, and the rest of the group wouldn't have had nearly 3 months of bewilderment. It should have been the very first introduction session to HLTA, not the fifth, and it will definitely be my feedback to them at the end of the course. He talked about how the portfolio should be set out, what's needed and not and the kind of evidence/documents the assessor will be looking for. It was a long day but totally worth it, just a shame it didn't happen back in November. Just thought I'd let you know how it went.

6. sunshineneeded

Glad you enjoyed it and the day was helpful. Definitely feed back how you feel to the trainers - it sounds as though the day would have been much more useful to you if it had been earlier in your course. I'm sure your tasks and your evidence file will be brilliant now!

Kittyb74 likes this.