1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best Pod Coffee Machine

Discussion in 'Personal' started by WB, Nov 16, 2019.

1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

I stopped using a cafitiere because I was forever breaking the delicate glass. I keep dropping hints that I'd like someone to buy me a metal one, but nothing so far. I was once opening my birthday presents in bed and one was a parcel that had come in the post. As I unwrapped it out fell shards and specks of glass. My mother-in-law had sent me a cafitiere completely unprotected in the post!

2. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

I have a DeLonghi espresso machine which uses either "loose" coffee grounds, or something called "ese pods" which are sort of like tea bags which fit into the filter. These can both be put directly into the compost and they decompose well. (No plastic in the ese pods) That's why I chose that machine, to avoid environmentally unfriendly (and expensive) coffee pod things.
    However, the ese pods come individually sealed in plastic pouches, which cannot be recycled. So now we use ordinary coffee grounds. We also have a DeLonghi filter coffee maker, and a cafetiere. Each one tastes different and is used at different times.
    I don't like tea...

knitone and Stiltskin like this.
  3. maggie m

maggie m Lead commenter

At work we use ground coffee a filter funnel, filter papers and a large flask. Makes a great cup of coffee. Please note said laboratory glassware has never been used for anything but making coffee.

4. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

There are so many cafetières available in charity shops that if I break mine I pop down and get another for £1.

5. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

We have had a Nespresso Pixie machine for a few years now (they are on sale for around $99, I believe). We are really into coffee and are very particular about the taste, quality, etc. We love our machine and the range of coffee flavors, intensity, etc. that are available.

Sally006 and Jesmond12 like this.
  6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

When we crossed the USA a couple of years ago (Route66) every hotel and motel we stayed at had a coffee machine in the room. Every model was different and you sometimes needed an engineering degree to get them to work. Why they couldn't just give you a kettle and a few tea bags/sachets of Nescafe I don't know! Although I do know that electric kettles are too hi tech for most Americans.

7. wrldtrvlr123

Ironic that you paint most Americans as technologically incompetent while admitting you couldn't operate a simple coffee machine. Perhaps you should stick to ever reliable complaints about the yank invasion of Halloween, McDonalds, Starbucks, etc.

In general, "instant" coffee is seen as inferior/cheaper to any kind of brewed coffee by many Americans (although I do appreciate Nescafe and some of the better brands/types).

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Another American who doesn't do irony! When American friends stay with me they stand in awe (No joke, they really do) when we put the kettle on. The idea that there is a machine that will give you a pot of boiling water in a minute does seem to amaze them. When we visit our friends in the US we have never seen an electric kettle in their kitchens. The closest we came to it was a kettle with a whistle that went on the hob in one friends house. She got it out of the cupboard especially for us. In another house we were offered tea. Cold water and a tea bag was placed in a mug and then put in the microwave!

bajan, nomad and Jesmond12 like this.
  9. wrldtrvlr123

Oh, I definitely do irony, but none was detected in your post (at least none that was done intentionally).

I think the disconnect is that most Americans do not regularly drink hot tea, do not need to boil water on a daily basis and so do not need a separate machine to accomplish that feat. If they thought there was a market there for electric kettles, I'm sure some company would be pushing them as indispensable and life-changing.

10. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

I get my ese pods from Amazon and they're wrapped in recyclable paper or foil packets

11. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

Nespresso offer a very good repair service. They give you another machine while you wait. Man came and collected the machine and a week later it came back fixed. Cost £25 but cheaper than a new machine and we got another couple of years out of it. Have to say that we use ours a lot and they do wear out. Ring them up as there are always good deals on new machines. Nespresso for sure is the best.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  12. mothorchid

mothorchid Star commenter

What brand are they? Mine come from Amazon, but have a plastic/foiled sort of pouch round each one. I would like to get something which actually can be recycled.

13. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

14. SammyBear2016

SammyBear2016 Occasional commenter

We have a Dolce Gustso and a Tassimo. We find that the pods are of a similar price for both but you can get some unbranded ones for the DG a bit cheaper.

15. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Perky copulator on the stove top, cost about fifteen quid from a proper cookware shop. Makes industrial strength French blend to kickstart my morning.

TCSC47 and Doitforfree like this.
  16. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

Illy do one in a metal tin, with a foil seal (has about 36 pods in) and they are loose inside. Obviously once you open them you need to use them fairly quickly (I put them in a vacuum jar as I go through them).

The other is Pure Gusto (unwrapped) which come in packets like t-bags. These come in packs of 100 though so good storage.

mothorchid likes this.
  17. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

18. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I don't understand the virtue signals of good rubbish versus bad rubbish, budget appliance versus swanky appliance when you can in fact make good coffee with neither appliance nor rubbish.
    The correct cup to drink it from? Now that's another matter...

19. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

What do you prefer? Spill the beans (;))

TCSC47 likes this.
  20. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Just hot water on nice ground coffee, steep, pour into another cup, drink. Put grounds on plants.
    Blueify your hydrangeas! Darken your zinnias! Boost your blueberries! Ramp up your radishes.
    but
    not good for tomatoes.