1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best Pod Coffee Machine

Discussion in 'Personal' started by WB, Nov 16, 2019.

1. WB

WB Occasional commenter

I'm looking to buy a pod coffee machine for the kitchen.

I only like espresso and Americano, have little space in the kitchen and a budget of about £100.00. I don't mind paying for good quality coffee so the cost of the pods is not an issue.

Nesprsso? Tassimo? Other?

Any recommendations?.

Thanks

2. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Pods use a lot of plastic.

Lalad, TCSC47, bonxie and 7 others like this.
  3. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Nespresso is expensive. Dulce Gusto is better (in my opinion).

But post 2 is right - why not sue a cafetiere and ground coffee (no plastic)?

4. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

One without pods. They're just needless junk and worse than brexit. I grind my beans and make my coffee in a do it yourself machine which is perfectly easy, and I like the whole routine of grinding and brewing, and my machine makes very impressive and authentic noises! Buy the best quality you can. We went through two cheap machines before we got our indestructible Gaggia... Which I destroyed by never descaling it. I am a better, more descaling person now. Also I can strip down a coffee machine...

5. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Senior commenter

We have a Dulce Gusto machine. Their Americano Intenso pods are excellent.

sooooexcited likes this.
  6. BertieBassett2

BertieBassett2 Star commenter

Nespresso every time! The pods are recyclable and you get a perfect cup of coffee.

Sally006 likes this.
  7. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Our Nespresso machine has packed up after about 6 years of mainly just Mrs. M. using it. I looked online where it was suggested it had an airlock and how to deal with it, it doesn't. So now I'm thinking do I take it to bits and attempt a repair or get a new one? which I may have to do anyway having taken it to bits.

8. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

We have a Tassimo but as one who is anally retentive about recycling I dislike the wastefulness of the tinfoil/plastic combination in the pods.

The next one will be environmentally friendlier, if such a thing exists.

Jesmond12 likes this.
  9. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

I had a recent thread on this question and I ended up buying a Espresso Virtuo machine which uses bigger pods than the normal machine. The coffee is absolutely lovely and you have a variety of different flavours. You can also choose the size of the cup from mug - grand lungo- double espresso and espresso depending upon which pod you chose.

The normal retail price of a Krupps machine is £180 but I got mine on offer from Amazon for £94.

The pods are made from aluminium and you just take them back to a store for recycling or you can post them off.

BertieBassett2 likes this.
  10. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

Some guys I worked with in the NHS set up a company which designed and manufactured various diagnostic medical products. Generally the devices had embedded software. Of these guys, one was an electronics whizkid, another was a doctor, who ultimately became a consultant pharmacologist and the third had the business brains to get the company off the ground, find out what the market for their products was crying out for, in terms of innovation.

As the company grew and the range of products increased, they had to take on more programmers to develop the firmware that the products needed.

For a while, the electronics whizkid had to share a room with the programmers, who consumed vast amounts of coffee. They asked if they could have a coffee machine in that room, and were provided with whatever was the top of the range at that time.

The electronics whizkid was a close friend of mine, someone I spent many evenings in the pub with, drinking and assisting in the design of the mechanical aspects of the products, since my engineering business made all the engineered parts they required. We'd bounce design ideas off each other and sketched them out on the back of fag packets, with my input largely being based around what it was possible to make.

Anyway, there came a time when my friend began to develop chest pains of the sort usually associated with cardiac problems. The consultant pharmacologist director arranged for him to have extensive tests on his heart by one of the most eminent cardiologists in the country, one of the tests involving a procedure which all but stopped the heart beating.

My friend described undergoing this procedure as undergoing a near death experience, but once the cardiologist was satisfied there was nothing wrong with my friend's heart, he whatever it was that was needed to be done to bring my friend back from the queue at the Pearly Gates.

He told me that the consultant pharmacologist then explained he was likely to be suffering from over-consumption of strong coffee. Apparently the air became blue when he asked whether the phamacologist knew what the procedure entailed and was told "Yes, but it was necessary to eliminate cardiac disease from my diagnosis."

So my friend stopped drinking coffee and the problem disappeared.

There's an interesting aspect to this anecdote, insofar as the programmers had all been taken on with fixed term contacts and in the hope of getting another one, every time they made themselves a cup of coffee, they made one for their boss.

Programmers are a weird bunch at the best of time and only drink the strongest coffee it's possible to get. You could feed them with on a continuous drip and they'd still complain that it's about time someone invented coffee with a bit of caffeine in it.

Lalad likes this.
  11. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Not too long ago you could go into a cafe, ask for a coffee, and you got a... (wait for it) cup of coffee.

You did not get a lesson in how to talk Italian. A barista was a poor phonetic attempt at spelling the name of a legal counsel and an Americano (or worse) was what a Mexican responded with when being called a Frijolero (or worse).

Until recently I was under the impression that a Freddo was a chocolate bar in the shape of an anthropomorphic cartoon frog rather than a brain-freeze cup of coffee.

[​IMG]

towncryer and blazer like this.
  12. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Pod coffee machines guzzle so many processes which are not necessary for a good cup of coffee. I also, rightly or wrongly, associate them with people who care about looking like they like coffee, without actually caring about the coffee.
    But if you insist on getting a pod machine, have a read of this,at least you'll be informed about what is out there, extensive comparative report by Which, April 2019,so just about current

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2019/04/which-coffee-pod-brands-are-the-most-eco-friendly/

fwiw based on current coffee consumption and shameless monopoly of the market and consumer demand, the variety of farmed coffee beans is in line to diminish by about 85% by 2025. That's about de longhi and de shorti of it.

13. RepelloInimicum

RepelloInimicum Lead commenter

upload_2019-11-16_22-38-26.png

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I've got one of these. Buy coffee in boxes or packs and make it to taste. Had it 30+ years now, have even taken it on holiday with us.
    [​IMG]

Shedman, maggie m, towncryer and 3 others like this.
  15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Friends of our have a bean to cup machine. It makes a lot of noise and takes about 5 minutes to produce one cup of coffee. I am on my second cup of tea by the time it delivers the first cup (and it tastes like s**t). I think they paid somewhere in the region of £700 for this machine.

BertieBassett2 and nomad like this.
  16. nomad

nomad Star commenter

17. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I have a cafetiere at home, and very much like the black coffee it makes.
    At work we have a Tassimo that a kind parent donated. It also makes nice coffee. The coffee is not so much nicer for me to pay (at home) the higher cost of the coffee machine, the coffee or the plastic waste. Tassimo does not use Al pods (which of course have a much larger carbon footprint than plastic).
    Someone at work does know somewhere that recycles coffee pods.

18. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I spent more than enough years of my life making ecellent coffee with nothing more than a funnel lined with filter paper that the coffee went into and a jug below to catch the coffee after hot water was poured into the funnel.

There isn't any magic that any system of making coffee has over its competitors, since they all do the same bleedin' thing of using hot water to extract flavour from ground coffee.

The technique I used with a funnel produced just as good coffee as we got from any other device. The only thing that ever made a difference to the taste was the quality of the coffee we used and how much water wnt into making it.

It ain't rocket science, they just try to make out it is.

TCSC47 and blazer like this.
  19. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

A stove top espresso machine c. 25 gbp makes the best fuss free coffee at home and a 250g tin of espresso is much cheaper than pods
    (saves the planet too)

nomad likes this.
  20. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

Mine's not bean to cup, my grinder is separate, and the two of them didn't cost anything like that! Nor does it take that long and the coffee is great. But on holiday in a cottage that turned out to have no form of coffee making equipment at all, I found that a folded piece of kitchen roll is strong enough to make filter coffee into a cup, and a very good cup too (as long as the coffee used is good, of course!).

nizebaby likes this.