1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best places to save money

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by worlo24, Dec 17, 2015.

1. worlo24

worlo24 Occasional commenter

From people's experiences, which cities are the best for teaching and saving money? Been reading the different threads on here with great interest - some mention the Middle East others SE Asia. I know it all depends on lifestyle but I am just curious.

Thanks

2. worlo24

Thanks for that MM2H. Money certainly isn't the main driver for me wanting to go abroad - I'm purely just gathering information at the moment.

3. GeordieKC

GeordieKC Occasional commenter

Yes, a lot depends on lifestyle, but the school and contract are probably more important than the location. Two places I have made good savings one was courtesy of an excellent completion of contract bonus and the other was a lowish salary in the ME, but private tuition in the afternoons was plentiful.

4. worlo24

cheers for that GeordieKC - I have heard now from a few people who have spoken about doing private tuition on the side

5. Principal-Skinner

Principal-Skinner Occasional commenter

Do be aware that some schools do not allow this.

worlo24 likes this.
  6. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

I've known people fired for doing tuition in the side. Check your contract. A lot will not allow it.

worlo24 likes this.
  7. aussie_teacher_nt

aussie_teacher_nt New commenter

Remote/rural Australia can be good as it's decent pay with free accommodation (depending which state) if you can deal with been isolated and 700Ks + away from anything resembling a city/town.

8. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Watching the job market over the past couple of years it seems to me that The Middle East is definitely now in the middle to low end of available packages...certainly not good enough to tempt me at least. There are still a few surprises out there, and some are in nice countries to, you just got to look closely at whats available, and what the package can afford you to do. I got sold Laos as being "cheap" to live, and god was that wrong...massively expensive country to live in at any reasonable standard to living.