1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best places to Advertise?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by mielo59, Aug 6, 2012.

1. mielo59

mielo59 New commenter

Sorry if this has been
    covered before.
    <font face="Times New Roman" size="3">

</font>Does anyone have any
    ideas on the best places for tutors to advertise?

</font>I&rsquo;ve advertised on the
    website Home Tutors Directory. They only
    charge ?30 per year and I&rsquo;ve had a few students from them.

I called Yell.com. They quoted a figure of ?370.
    That would cover an entry in Yellow Pages
    and an online ad within a 10 miles radius of where I live. That seems a bit
    steep but if I get one student for a few months that would cover the cost.

What about putting up
    notices in local newsagents, libraries, hair dressers shops etc does anyone
    have any suggestions?

</font>

2. mielo59

mielo59 New commenter

Sorry if this has been
    covered before.

</font>Does anyone have any
    ideas on the best places for tutors to advertise?

</font>I&rsquo;ve advertised on the
    website Home Tutors Directory. They only
    charge ?30 per year and I&rsquo;ve had a few students from them.

I called Yell.com. They quoted a figure of ?370.
    That would cover an entry in Yellow Pages
    and an online ad within a 10 miles radius of where I live. That seems a bit
    steep but if I get one student for a few months that would cover the cost.

What about putting up
    notices in local newsagents, libraries, hair dressers shops etc does anyone
    have any suggestions?

</font>

3. bananamoore

bananamoore New commenter

I tried post offices, newsagents and the local paper when I started 4 years ago and got one response through the post office advert. I have had much more success via the Web with over 15 students, mostly though First Tutors and UK tutors. First Tutors is free for Tutors to advertise, UK Tutors make a small one-off charge for each tutee. I've also had enquires through Tutors4me and Tutorhunt, both again are free for Tutors. Most of my current work is through word of mouth originating from these initial students. Good luck!!

4. Hiya

I started last week and already have 10 clients. I printed out leaflets and put them on counters in Local shops, and library. I also put them in hair dressers, and other stores. I did approach a far amount of people with children on the street, and handed them over a leaflet. Once you get one client they normally recommend you to others. word of mouth is the best way, so make sure you have spare leaflets so clients can give them out to friends. I also made a website just one page which had the advert and my picture on, so people can refer to that after receiving the leaflet. the website cost me £5 for three years.

You really do not need to spend a whole lot of money - use your customer service skills and you will succeed.

5. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

bcq that sounds great. What subject are you? I am stuck in having work done so I have just created some leaflets. You have inspired me! I wasn't going to bother. Cheers

6. I leafleted about 100 homes yesterday and got a phone call before I had even got back home. Trial lesson on Tuesday

7. langteacher

I'm not looking to take on any more for the next few weeks but the leaflets are now done and ready to print so I will be out walking and delivering when I am ready to take on more! The other benefit is that the clients are more likely to be local so keeping any travel costs and time to a minimum. Best of luck for all those new lessons everyone.

8. I've got 5000 leaflets sat here and I can't muster the energy during the holidays to post them!!! Next week, promise.

9. langteacher

borrow a dog if you don't have one and go for a walk. 5000 is a lot! Enough to put anyone off making a start!

10. From about 800 leaflets, I have had 5 responses.

11. well I am a primary NQT - i tend to focus on Maths, English - Spelling, Writing and Reading :) keep going ull be fine !!!

12. I use Lesson Park ( www.LessonPark.com ) which is free to register and from which i get most of my contacts. There are lots of sites out there though.