1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best place to teach with children?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by notreallyme75, Jun 18, 2019.

1. notreallyme75

notreallyme75 New commenter

Single mum two little ones... SLT in uk for a few years. Any ideas re best places to teach abroad? Happy to be slt or not if finances work...

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things. Perhaps I could be of some help.

notreallyme75 likes this.
  3. notreallyme75

I think I have replied! Thanks in advance!

4. topquark

topquark New commenter

With two little ones in tow you would be able to find some very agreeable packages in Asia. If you do your homework on the costs/benefits of each school on this forum and ISR and tailor your applications to the requirements of the school, you could be experiencing a very good work/life balance and be able to save some $. When I say Asia, I'm talking about Thailand, Malaysia, Vietnam, Singapore and China. These locations tend to have lower costs of childcare and accommodation (apart from Singapore and Hong Kong which are expensive - however an elevated salary may compensate for this). One thing to factor in is that some schools offer a higher salary than the UK and you may be able to work as a teacher with no responsibility and still gain a comparable wage to that of a person working in a UK SLT - I have experienced this in two schools in two different countries. Also, talking about childcare, we are not talking about a childminder with limited hours, we are talking about a domestic helper who lives with the family. This gives you a greater freedom and a much better chance of spending quality time with your little ones.

Don't forget that parts of the Middle East are also in Asia, but very good packages are harder to find these days. Our children were toddlers whilst we lived in the ME - in fact one was born in a local hospital as part of the national health service. We paid a little extra and the maternity ward (it was actually a private room with a TV) resembled a five star hotel. We also saved a ton and were able to buy UK property, so not a bad deal whilst living in a sandpit.

All I can say is, do bucket loads of research and don't be afraid to wait for the right one to come along. Good luck!

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
  5. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

Penang, Phuket or something similar.

6. makhnovite

makhnovite Established commenter

The country, is almost irrelevant, its the school that sets their own standard; i.e. free places for the kids or a percentage of the fees, time off if the kids are sick, are the kids on your health care package, do the kids get flights, the quality of their education if they are of school age. A few things are national; e.g. cheapness and availability of maids and/or nannies but 90% of it is the school.

grdwdgrrrl, notreallyme75 and DocShew like this.
  7. notreallyme75

Really appreciate you taking the time to reply. Certainly gives me somethings to think about!

topquark likes this.
  8. SteffenCarter

SteffenCarter New commenter

There is no need to find a place for teaching. Now you can teach students online at your own home. Teaching from home is the best way to take care of your child as well as earning money. So, I think you should start teaching online.

9. krakowiak6

krakowiak6 New commenter

Teaching what online? English? It's minimum wages and most of it is for the Chinese market. They tell you you can earn £20 an hour, but in acrual fact it;s difficult to get. A lot of teachers are on less than £10 an hour. If you are a freelance tutor on the other hand thenyou can charge what you like but good luck in getting students with the hundreds of other online tutors all looking for students.

10. Dothework

Dothework New commenter

Could I have one please?

11. Dothework

Dothework New commenter

Any recommendations of agencies that can set up the best deals?

12. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Search associates

13. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Dothework, I have sent you one of those TES Conversations. You need to click on the little picture in the top right-hand corner.