1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best Place to Teach Abroad

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by msb92, Jul 10, 2018.

1. msb92

msb92 New commenter

Hi All,

I have currently been working as an Unqualified Primary Teacher straight from finishing University in the UK. I am starting my NQT year in September but once that has been completed, I am looking to move abroad. Whether it is next year or the year after. It will be just be myself moving away and I am hoping to be able to save enough money whilst out there to come back to the UK and buy a house, but that is the big picture.

I am just asking for your wonderful knowledge and opinions for where the best place is to teach aboard? Ideally, I would like to go somewhere that includes accommodation or where accommodation is cheap and also somewhere that has a great work life balance. That would be the dream wouldn't it?!

Hope you can all help!

2. 03mkk

03mkk New commenter

Anywhere worth it’s salt will expect 2 years teaching once qualified. Speaking as someone in the Middle East- the packages aren’t what they used to be here and you can save but it helps to privately tutor too.

I think your question is too broad in regards to accommodation being provided etc as this can be different within countries or companies.

Do you want to work for a British international, IB or local school? This will affect things.... also, personally I think not-for-profit schools are preferable.

Generally I think you need to do some more research to narrow down options slightly.

3. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

Far to broad a question, and you definitely wont get one clear answer.
    If you want free accommodation the avoid western europe, well at least avoid any country in the Euro. There are far to many wonderful places to explore. Be adventurous and you could go anywhere.

4. SineField

SineField New commenter

I've got my first international post after quite a few years of UK teaching but I've been in touch with several teachers who've worked abroad and they all say the same thing..... any half decent international school will expect/demand that you have the ability to hit the ground running. No one to walk around with you and hold your hand.

People can and do jump straight into international teaching from their PGCE but thats not to say its the best way to do it. A couple of years UK experience can be v.beneficial.

As to the best places.... an impossible question IMO..... what exactly is it that you are looking for? You have to be very honest with yourself, and as I discovered even as an experienced teacher, people with previous int.school exp will 95% of the time be put ahead of you when it comes to vacancy filling. You can't be too picky for your first job!

5. Ne11y

Ne11y New commenter

Very broad. What are you willing to put up with? What kind of life do you want to lead? If your aim is to save for a house, what is your savings goal?

I, for instance, would never consider the Middle East: I hate heat for a start. However, I know people who love it. On the other hand, I love Eastern Europe, perhaps thanks to personal connections to the area. I can handle cold winters.

I want to live comfortably. Unlike you, I am not young, so have a lower tolerance level for discomfort/inconvenience. I will be paying more for accommodation in my next post, because I want to live more centrally.

I too, want to save and have set myself a target for my next post. It should be achievable.

So if I were you, I would be a bit more specific, then return to this thread. You might get some more information then.

Good luck!

6. mummalea

mummalea New commenter

Hi msb92

Come to Malaysia. It's a great place to start your overseas teaching career, salaries aren't' great but the cost of living is low and the places you can cheaply travel to are amazing...Laos, Myanmar, China, Japan, Cambodia, Australia, Thailand, Singapore, Indonesia.

You won't regret it...

7. msb92

msb92 New commenter

Hi All,

Thank you for your replies.

Apologies that my post was too broad, I just don’t know where to start tbh!

Any ideas on where to start with looking at moving abroad?

Thanks again.

8. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Where do you start with looking at moving abroad, msb92? One or two people have sent a TES Conversation to a swamp-dwelling animal that is rumoured to lumber around this forum.

9. SineField

SineField New commenter

So you've read the feedback and all you're doing is basically repeating your original question?!?

To paraphrase Darth Vader:

"I find your lack of initiative and Google skills disturbing." o_O

sparklesparkle likes this.
  10. msb92

msb92 New commenter

Your wisdom would be wonderful! I would really like to know where to even begin?!

11. Ne11y

Ne11y New commenter

OK, it's a big decision, so break it down and consider:

• How far away (in distance and culture) you are prepared to go? Do you want to be pushed beyond your boundaries or be surrounded by the reasonably familiar (think culture, language, food, weather)? Do you want to be able to hop back to the UK for a weekend or are you happy to only visit once a year?
    • What is your savings goal? Just because its a long term plan to have enough to buy property doesn't mean you shouldn't have a goal in mind. £1000 a year or £100000?
    These two alone should help you narrow down your options.

If you don't want to be too adventurous to begin with, Europe looks likely and if you want to start saving soon, Eastern Europe.

If you're prepared to be more adventurous, then the Middle East or Africa beckon (if you're happy with the heat) or Asia (more temperate in parts). Some research should help you figure out the most financially advantageous.

Once you have a geographical area in mind, you can research individual schools/organisations, job adverts etc and ask for advice here. Even a broad geographical area will be useful.

12. Mr_Frosty

Mr_Frosty Occasional commenter

That is outstanding advice in my opinion!

Ne11y likes this.
  13. 576

576 Established commenter

The best place is subjective but try to be open-minded. I knew virtually nothing about the countries my first and next jobs are in till I became aware of the jobs.
    Just watch for ads, research schools and their locations that come up and apply for anything that takes your fancy.

rouxx likes this.
  14. msb92

msb92 New commenter

Thank you for your amazing advice! Really appreciate it!

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  15. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Wasn't even that sure where the country was until I saw the advert and researched it - knew the continent, but I could never have placed it on a map!

By the way, I agree, great post from @Ne11y just one correction - not everywhere in Africa is hot, hot, hot.

Mr_Frosty likes this.
  16. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

Apply for everything that you are qualified for. Once you get some interviews/offers, it is worth some serious research. Talk to current members of staff. Do not limit yourself to the idyllic, surprise your self. The interview process should tell you a great deal in itself.

rideemcowboy likes this.
  17. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

There has already been a lot of sensible advice. I would certainly echo snitzelvonkrumm's comment that you should apply for anything or everything and then see what sort of response you will get.

I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things, msb92.

snitzelvonkrumm likes this.
  18. 576

576 Established commenter

Agreed - and that's why a bit of research on the country - climate, cost of living etc is so important.

19. tjh102

tjh102 Occasional commenter

Personally, I never intended to work abroad. I was job seeking and found an advert that was written for me. Only when I started researching, did I realise it was in Thailand!

I don't have a family and am a bit obsessed with work, so the job was my priority, with a "Can I tolerate living here for two years?" second.

Best thing is to work out what is important to you and go from there. Good luck.

rideemcowboy likes this.
  20. dave12hughes

dave12hughes New commenter

I appreciate it is a bit of a 'marmite' option but I came to the USA to teach on a cultural exchange visa. It isn't a money-maker but salary decent, comparable to the UK.

T0nyGT likes this.