1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best place to save 2020

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by JINTY67, Sep 12, 2020.

1. JINTY67

JINTY67 New commenter

Hi , been teaching in Spain for 3 years . Want to move in order to save . I’ve 15 years experience , some leadership roles in lower primary and early years . Any suggestions ? Thanks

2. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

Futile question. Depends what you cannot live without and your habits. Cheese and bread are a lot more expensive in Asia, as are flights home and to neighboring countries. Living in ME might be desirable but you’ll want to leave EVERY holiday and those short breaks add up.
    Do you need childcare? Do you put into a pension?
    I went from 4 grand a month to 2.5k a month and save the same amount but have a much better quality of life now as I can do more things that I missed doing when in Asia.

3. topquark

topquark Occasional commenter

SE Asia, top tier schools will pay well and usually offer free schooling for children if you have (or intend to have in the future). Also depends if you have a teaching partner. Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore and Vietnam are good for environment, lifestyle and saving.

Middle East is not the savings haven it once was, but there are still schools were you can save.

As sid1913 points out, if you earn lots and then spend lots, you can't save a great deal. I'm in SE Asia, saving a good amount, but we are being very careful with our outgoings. Great holidays and excellent lifestyle.

4. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

It depends on so much - including a degree of luck. I'm saving about half my salary where I am (Eastern Europe) and living comfortably, but a colleague has commitments and a string of bad luck meaning they are not doing as well.

You can look up approximate costs of living on a numerical website, use that as a base and sit down and work out your essentials - will you need to travel home often, do you have a mortgage to pay, will you be supporting family?

Once you start running some figures, you might get a better idea.

As a generalisation, the further away from so-called first world locations, the higher the potential to save. There are reasons for this - which you will need to consider.

After Spain, almost anything will be generous though, from what I hear.

Good luck!

5. JINTY67

JINTY67 New commenter

Thanks . I do not need childcare and I my husband will be staying in Spain , good point about the holiday travel. Where are you based now ?

6. JINTY67

JINTY67 New commenter

Thanks , yes I have been working on many of the points you suggest . Husband will continue to work in Spain. I will be travelling there alone so safety is a priority also .

7. JINTY67

JINTY67 New commenter

Thanks for your input , where are you working ?

8. Ne11y

Ne11y Occasional commenter

Eastern Europe is pretty safe, areas in the EU still tend to have a better cost of living/salary ratio compared to the rest of the EU...outside the EU depends on your ability to ignore politics...

As you might be travelling to Spain frequently, or hoping your husband can visit you, check the flights and paperwork issue too. For example, British passport holders need a visa for Russia regardless of travel purpose and usually have to get the visa in the UK. It adds a layer of complexity (and expense) you might want to consider....

9. TashaP

TashaP New commenter

Be wary about going to countries such as south east Asia at the moment. With the restrictions in place you may find that you are unable to see your husband or return to Europe at all for the duration of your contract. I've ended up in this situation and it's not easy.

10. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

Depends on your punctuation.