1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best option for gaining QTS/QTLS and moving into Primary

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Iggy_B, Jun 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Iggy_B

Iggy_B New commenter

I've mentioned this before but here's my story: been teaching in FE for 12 years and I now wish to move into schools, preferably primary. I have a PGCE in FE which doesn't have QTS and I've been looking into various options. But I wish to know what option is best for moving into primary. I like the idea of the SCITT as it would give me the chance to experience primary, but the QTLS option aloso appeals. This is because I am now a cover supervisor in a secondary school and they are very supportive in helping me achieve QTS,etc. and it's this is something that costs less and can be achieved quicker. I would appreciate any feedback

2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

3. Iggy_B

Iggy_B New commenter

4. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4149909

I still don't think your previous experience makes you a good QTLS candidate if you want to teach Primary. I'd rather have a QTS person because I know they will have had training with the appropriate age-group.

With an FE and Secondary background you're not an ideal fit for Primary. Not with QTLS. You'd be asked why you weren't going into Secondary and would have to come up with something pretty convincing.

I repeat - QTS shows you're more serious. But it depends on supply and demand in your area. Remember schools are cutting back and there will be fewer jobs about so competition will be fiercer.

5. wanet

wanet Star commenter

QTLS may be equivalent to QTS, but that doesn't mean that they are viewed as the same!

6. Iggy_B

Iggy_B New commenter

Thanks for the advice, The SCITT looks to be the best option.