1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

best online times tables practise?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cozg, Jul 6, 2020.

1. cozg

cozg New commenter

I've got Year 4 as part of mixed Y4/5/6 from Sept. What have people found works best for getting Y4 to the standard needed to pass the times table test?

2. ajc89

ajc89 Occasional commenter

I know schools that have use TT rockstars - the kids love it and can be accessed at home

3. Josh7

Josh7 Occasional commenter

Our school started using TT rockstars this year. About 50% of the children engaged voluntarily with it initially, then it dropped to around 33%.

They do like doing it in school, when they view it as a preference to a normal lesson.

Weekly testing with a motivating reward has been my go to throughout my teaching career, sometimes a chart/display of some sort in class works. All depends on the cohort/child.

4. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

TT rockstars works pretty well for us - they love doing it at school (been really useful in the bubbles) but a good percentage also engage at home. Hit the button is also a useful app.

5. numbersense

numbersense New commenter

Another vote here for TT Rockstars. I love how you can set it up to move pupils on automatically, although you do have to keep an eye on this as they get very disillusioned if stuck on the same tables for a long time - I occasionally set them another gig to reassess and they seem to magically move on!

6. Caramel2308

Caramel2308 Occasional commenter

It is also beneficial because the soundcheck is much like the test they will take so they will not only be able to learn their tables but will also be able to practise taking the test.