1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best of British

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by henriette, Jun 20, 2012.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

My extremely good French friend (used to be my assistant at school, now a friend, lives in La Réunion in Indian Ocean but hails from Normandie) is visiting for the weekend - WITH A FRIEND! (friend, not partner - his wife is back home as term has not finished for her yet)
    Fri night will be curry night
    Sat I will do an Italianate chicken, lemon and artichoke casserole
    Sunday ?????????????????? (no red meat!)
    suggestions, please, to show Ben's friend that English does not mean roast beef/fish and chips/sausage and mash etc??????????????????????????????

2. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

Roast chicken dinner?
    Sausage and chips?
    Pie and mash?
    [​IMG]

3. modelmaker

modelmaker Lead commenter

Why no red meat on the menu? Maybe your friend would really love some properly-cooked roast beef or a steak and kidney pudding or an oxtail stew. Might not be "summer" meals, but that wouldn't stop me enjoying them at this time of year.

4. henriette

henriette New commenter

He doesn't eat red meat(neither does my daughter) - hence no red meat. S&K would turn his stomach - this man has gown up on an island in the Indian Ocean (Réunion) where red meat is expensive (imported from France) and not often eaten, therefore he doesn't have the taste for it!

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Fish pie. Yum yum!

6. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

If it looks like rain:
    If it looks to be warm and sunny:
    Whole poached salmon, skin removed and then served at room temp with mayo and boiled Jersey Royals. Precede it with a chopped egg and prawn salad and follow it with either a trifle or a summer pudding.

7. grandelf

grandelf New commenter

toad in the hole (although sausages as red meat?)

8. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

A great British barbecue.

With umbrellas.

9. henriette

henriette New commenter

hmmm... I'm not tempted by any of these ideas yet[​IMG]

10. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Will your friend eat pork? If so you could do a roast rolled pork with sage and onion stuffing, or apiece of gammon with parsley sauce, jersey royals, new carrots and peas.

11. BelleDuJour

Turkey Wellington.
    Use a turkey breast and make it like a beef Wellington. You can use stuffing instead of mushroom duxelle if you wish.

12. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

Lapinrose's suggestion of gammon is a good one. You can't buy anything like it in France so would be good for your friend and the Réunionais.
    For dessert, a trifle or Eton Mess.

13. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Summer chicken casserole - doesn't sound exciting but will taste great and it would be a great chance to show off some amazing produce there is. I have put a recipe on here for a chicken and bacon one that I have always been complimented on when I entertained in the past - great with dumplings.

14. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

How about a proper English afternoon tea?
    Sandwiches - cucumber, smoked salmon, egg and cress, ham and mustard.
    Homemade sausage rolls
    Scones - clotted cream and jam, of course.
    Cakes - A fruit cake and a Victoria sponge.
    With some fizz and pot or three of tea.
    Set the table beautifully and it'll look a treat.
    It would be a lot of work though. Your offspring are both accomplished cooks though, get them involved!

15. BelleDuJour

Yum, yum and tripple yum [​IMG]

16. henriette

henriette New commenter

We did curry on Friday (lamb. chicken, cauliflower, okra, dhal, rice, naan)
    Lemon and artichoke chicken casseriole yesterday with rhubnarb and amaretto tart for pudding
    *When* the boys get back from London this evening (Camden Lock etc) it will be roast ham, roast new potatoes, roast carrots, broad beans + parsley sauce or gravy, then cheese, then mixed berries with (home made) vanilla ice cream using some of the vanilla Ben brought me.

17. BelleDuJour

Noooooooooooooooo H. Do not ruin beautiful, fresh broad beans with a sauce. They just need a few minutes simmering then serve them plain. Let the beans sing, as nick would say [​IMG]

18. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Must say I agree. Lovely as H's meal sounds, seasonal broad beans are such a treat and shouldn't be covered with sauce. We ate them braied with gem lettuce and peas today but they were naked and distinguisable as beans in their own right.
    My fave way with broad beans is still with just a little olive oil though.
    Your meal sounds lovely though, H.

19. henriette

henriette New commenter

punctuation error!!
    parsley sauce and "sauce madère" served on the side: broad beans were lightly cooked in butter, garlic and a drop of wine + pepper (no salt needed)

20. I was going to suggest Admiral Pie - every time I invite Germans round, they beg for it!