1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best Loved Homemade Resources

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Rach001, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Rach001

Rach001 New commenter

Hi all,
    I'm an NQT currently working on supply whilst I look for a permanent position. I'm looking for ideas for the best loved/multipurpose resources that people use in their classroom so I can make myself a wee bank of resources (I'e lots of spare time right now as there;s not much supply at the start of term!).

What resources have you found really useful? Things you use in lessons or for fast finisher activities? Even PowerPoints that you may have found great to have prepared from previous years?

I'm currently making things like lolly-pop sticks with multiplication questions to play 'Zap-it', letters for Boggle, and some reading task cards, but I'm stuck for ideas. I found keeping on top of resources and extension activities tricky last year, and creating resources ready to use when on supply and with my own classes (eventually) seems like a good way to keep myself calm with all of this free time!

2. Littlesherbetlemon

Littlesherbetlemon Occasional commenter

I made quite a few loop cards linked to the same topic such as time. I always have classes which have such a massive spread of understanding of such topics so I made loop cards which focus on just o'clock and half past, then another set for quarter past and to, another set for 5 minutes, another for telling the time to the nearest minute and finally I had 24 and 12 hour clock loop cards. These then could be used for early finishers or as an activity at the beginning of the day when they come in.

For my last class, I bought the game Jenga from the charity shop and then wrote times tables questions on them so that when they played Jenga, they pulled out a brick and answered the question before they laid the brick on the top. I bought another set and wrote words linked to the first 200 words for their spellings. My least able children played it quite a bit and it improved their reading of those words and then their spelling.

Mrs_Hamilton, Alice K and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

May I suggest that you try writing some inspirational home-made poems? They go down a treat!