1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best locations for young families

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by Glolinde, Dec 30, 2019.

1. Glolinde

Glolinde New commenter

Hi all,
    My husband and I are considering moving abroad with our 2 year old son in the next few years (probably 2022/2023- ish) and are researching locations. We would like to have a comfortable standard of living and save some money as well as provide our son with an international education. And of course, the opportunity to travel is a huge pull!
    I, personally, would need to be somewhere with good access to healthcare as I have developed numerous chronic illnesses post pregnacy and require daily medication. This in no way affects my ability to work.
    I'm a secondary/FE English & ESOL teacher and spent my younger years teaching EFL overseas so not a complete stranger to expat living.
    I've lived in Europe, China and Korea and loved it but would like to go somewhere new. Asia still pulls my heart strings but open to new horizons too. We've been looking at Singapore because the wage for teachers in international schools seems very good but I know the cost of living is also a lot higher.
    I think (hope) I should be okay getting work with past international experience and an MA & PGCE, however, we're not sure what my husband will do yet.
    He's a plumber by trade but he's open to doing a Celta/Tesol and teaching EFL as well, although I think he would rather stick with trade.
    I expect I will be the main breadwinner, which is absolutely fine with me, but I just want to make sure we go somewhere where I'm able to support us, as I've only done this alone before, which is a lot less scary in a lot of ways!
    Any suggestions on locations? So far we seem to be interested in Singapore, Taiwan and Vietnam. Anybody in a similar situation have any experience of these countries?
    Thanks in advance! :)

2. Morena123

Morena123 New commenter

I would add Thailand to your list, too. Medical care is great! But your husband wouldn't be able to legally work as a plumber here, it's a protected profession I think. There is always demand in countries like Thailand and Vietnam for native speakers to be EFL teachers and to be honest there are loads who are very poorly qualified! A CELTA would be a great start to get him into a reputable school or institute but I wouldn't rely on him getting a great salary for a while.

Your package could include housing, flights, schooling for your son etc so your husband being on a reduced income might not be an issue anyway, at least in the shorter term.

There are a few schools worth looking at in Vietnam and loads in Thailand, both in Bangkok and elsewhere.

I moved to Bangkok last year with a 9 month old and 3 year old and it's been great for us!

Glolinde likes this.
  3. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

If you meet the visa requirements and your qualifications are genuinely of international standards, give New Zealand a whiff. Your husband can work as a plumber and earn a motza!

Depending on how much holiday kitty you will end up having. Your travel may be "limited" to exploring Oceania. Fiji, New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Australia :) ---- first world problems really.

Good luck!

Glolinde likes this.
  4. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Bulgaria, of course! If you have already done China and Korea, then you will want to have some different travel options, Glolinde. If you were to get a teaching job in Sofia, then Greece and Turkey are round the corner. You could also drive to Greece, get on a ferry and then drive all round Italy.

I am not sure about what it would be like to work as a plumber in Bulgaria. (Perhaps he could come and fix our dishwasher, as it has not worked properly for ages.) Of course there are quite a lot of Brits (like me) who have bought properties in BG because they are so ludicrously cheap, compared to the insane house prices in the UK, so maybe an English-speaking plumber might find some work. I know that there are several TEFL schools in Sofia, so maybe your hubby could do that if he cannot do any plumbing.

I have sent you one of those TES Conversation things. You need to click on your avatar in the top right-hand corner of the screen. Then a little menu should appear and you need to click on "Conversations".

Glolinde likes this.