1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best KS5 L3 course?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by apmcarthur, Jan 24, 2012.

1. Hi folks...

I'm desperate for some input...

I have taken over as HOF in my secondary school and the previous HOF has set up the procom course for our sixth form in ICT.
    The students hate the course, there's very little info about it and its only worth 100 UCAS points.

I have been thinking of switching to OCR L3 and then replacing OCR L3 with the Cambirdge L3 next year.

Am I making the right decision? Please, please, please give me your input - Do you deliver OCR L3?

What are your thoughts on this course? Do you like it / hate it?

Is there a better option? Like EDEXCEL for instance?

2. Hi folks...

I'm desperate for some input...

I have taken over as HOF in my secondary school and the previous HOF has set up the procom course for our sixth form in ICT.
    The students hate the course, there's very little info about it and its only worth 100 UCAS points.

I have been thinking of switching to OCR L3 and then replacing OCR L3 with the Cambirdge L3 next year.

Am I making the right decision? Please, please, please give me your input - Do you deliver OCR L3?

What are your thoughts on this course? Do you like it / hate it?

Is there a better option? Like EDEXCEL for instance?

3. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

WJEC A level course gets the best A level grades on a national basis. Courseworks are straightforward and easy to score heavily on, AS exam is always a bit of a pig with a spec that is too large and rote learning of mark schemes is unfortunately the best way to hit highest marks, A2 exam is normally a better test .

4. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

I like the Edexcel applied ICT but it has its last cohort through starting this september. Maybe not worth it for just one cohort.

5. What will replace the Edexcel applied ICT course if its disappearing?

6. Eeek! I forgot it wasn't going to be around much longer. I hope they carry on with a similar course, or I'll miss the December/January TES get-together we do on this forum with the famous "UNIT 3 - Pre-Release" threads!

7. I am in a similar position as i am also looking for a viable course to replace the OCR Nationals L3. You may not be aware of this but the OCR Nationals L3 have not been re-acreditated. This is the last year it'll be run. The deadline for entering students is august this year and the final certification will be in 2014, which allows the students entered onto the course to complete it -2 years.
    I ran the course for two years and i think it was a good course with high success rate. However, students had to commit for 2 years and therefore were not allowed to move their AS points onto other subject after the first year.
    So in answering your - are you making the right decision? You would have been except for the fact that the course has been discontinued.
    I need input from you all out there. Any viable replacement course for the OCR Nalationals L3?

8. Unfortunately it doesn't look like e-skills have got round to submitting ITQ QCF for consideration for UCAS points :-( but it does still attract performance points.

9. Does anyone out there have a view about the Edexcel BTEC level 3 courses?
    Do you know what the success rate is nationally?
    Are students able to cash in their AS units at the end of year 12 if they wish to drop the subject after year 12?
    How does it compare to the OCR Nationals or the new proposed Cambridge Nationals L3?
    Replies will be muh appreciated....