1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best ks5 course

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Llamafarmingguru, May 4, 2012.

1. Llamafarmingguru

Llamafarmingguru New commenter

Ive been posting a few questions recently with some great advice given. I hope I will be able to offer my own soon :) the school I'm moving too currently teach the edexcel applied ict, of which this year sees the last cohort through. In planning for the future, which ict course is the best for ks5? I apologise for the incredibly open ended and subjective question

2. Llamafarmingguru

Ive been posting a few questions recently with some great advice given. I hope I will be able to offer my own soon :) the school I'm moving too currently teach the edexcel applied ict, of which this year sees the last cohort through. In planning for the future, which ict course is the best for ks5? I apologise for the incredibly open ended and subjective question

3. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

Forget it, it is a dead qualification.

4. Llamafarmingguru

That's why I will be looking to replace it, I just wanted some good suggestions for a ks5 course. I've taught a couple of different courses with varying strengths and weaknesses.

5. What kind of pupils do you have? What are the skill strengths in your department? What have you seen on the exam boards' web sites that you like the look of. I hope this helps.

6. Tosha

Tosha New commenter

ICT at Ks5 iMO doesn't really have a future

7. Shame you've experienced it taught so dry then. It can be done very well.

8. Chad78

Chad78 New commenter

I've said it many times before but Edexcel Applied ICT can be a very good course. Unit 1 sees kids learn css/html, video editing, sound editing, animation. Unit 3/7 is a great assessment format (if they tighten up on leaking exam data files!). In unit 10 my kids get a good introduction to programming with Actionscript. In terms of enjoyment, the feedback from Applied kids is far better then the standard ICT course. I really hope they create something similar in 2014.