1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best job hunting advice?

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Ultrafin, Mar 13, 2012.

1. In this current economic climate, where lots of people are returning to teaching after being made redundant or otherwise losing out in the private sector, and we are all competing for fewer jobs, what's the best job hunting advice you have been given??

I think it was John Howson on the careers forum who said "Apply for everything you can".

The more applications you make, the higher the chance one of them will be successful.

What advice has worked for you?

2. In this current economic climate, where lots of people are returning to teaching after being made redundant or otherwise losing out in the private sector, and we are all competing for fewer jobs, what's the best job hunting advice you have been given??

I think it was John Howson on the careers forum who said "Apply for everything you can".

The more applications you make, the higher the chance one of them will be successful.

What advice has worked for you?

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I think this is wrong. Trying to apply for too many jobs at once gives a higher chance of making mistakes (addressing it to the wrong name, for example, or leaving in the name of another school) and submitting a poor application - thereby reducing your chances of being successful.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

If you are scattering your applications all around in a shotgun fashion, you cannot possibly be writing individual letters that address the points that are important to that specific school.
    So you are, in fact, less likely to be successful.
    And just think - suppose you actually got one of these jobs? You might find yourself in the wrong job, in the wrong school, in the wrong place. How daft would that be?
    So my tips for successful job applications are:
    1) Apply for jobs where you believe that you could be successful and happy, and put in the effort to submit an effective application.
    2) Follow the advice in the shortlisting clickables inside the Welcome thread. Posters say that this works.
    Best wishes

5. What if the best place for you is not the place you will be happiest but the one commutable to a particular location? When you can no longer afford to live in the place you are happiest.

I suppose then it is desirable to send out as many applications as you can to schools that fit that criteria. Some of us can't just sit here and wait to see if our perfect job comes along while the deadline for handing in notice at our current school creeps up on us. I do, however, have a good read of the ethos of a school before applying as I will not work in schools that do not have the similar views in education as me as this will be detrimental to my career in the long run (remember Current Head will write your next reference).

So a piece of advice for me - Read the ethos - you will know if you get a bad vibe from it if you have any chance of getting a job there and if you will even like it in the long run. Save yourself some time and don't bother. I have read some and instantly taken a dislike to the school/person who wrote it.