1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best international locations?

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cathytravel, Oct 2, 2019.

1. cathytravel

cathytravel New commenter

I'm looking for suggestions of international locations and if possible schools to teach based on your own experiences. The brief: I want to teach in a country with opportunities for adventure and that opens my own three children eyes up to the wider world (we currently live in a wonderful safe European country that provides the perfect conditions to develop but is a little insular and homogenous). Pretty much open to all locations except Middle East or China. No large capital city. Large salary not a driver but I will be moving with 3 kids and spouse. Staff children school places offered (x3). At this stage not looking for an immediate job but just locations and schools to keep an eye on. I'm a Science teacher. Thanks in advance!

2. yasf

yasf Occasional commenter

Finding an international job with 3 kids and a dependent spouse can be quite tough. Especially if you add in that you don't want the ME, China or a large city. With your number of dependents and the need for 3 school places, you are looking for a school that offers a better package, which is tough given your red lines. You also don't mention why, which could also help guide advice on where you could go ?

For some reason, Bali comes to mind as a suggestion that might appeal to you. There are a few international schools on the island. Send them your CV and see what happens.

3. cathytravel

cathytravel New commenter

Thanks for your reply yasf. Spouse is likely to have some income - will work remotely. The why is that I want my kids to experience a country with greater diversity and for us as a family to have an adventure. You are definitely on the right track suggesting Bali - thanks.

yasf likes this.
  4. yasf

Unlike Western Europe, most schools will still expect to pay for flights, accommodation and insurance for all dependents. Having four dependents and three sets of school fees will put many off, so I've heard.

There are some other schools in SE Asia that spring to mind. Indonesia has a few outside Jakarta, Malaysia a few outside of KL and Thailand has many not in Bangkok. In all cases though, the schools are on relatively tight budgets.

Out of interest, what is your concern about China, the ME and large cities ? Pollution levels ? Cultural conservatism ?

Also, what is your background? Mainly UK schools ? IB ? US ? I know it might sound silly, but it also might make a difference.

5. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

apart from the fact you will be an expensive hire, your main problems are going to be these....

Helen-Back and yasf like this.
  6. frogusmaximus

frogusmaximus Occasional commenter

Pretty clear you need a job in Africa; plenty of adventure to be had and plenty of fresh air. Send us a postcard when you get there.

yasf likes this.
  7. taiyah

taiyah Occasional commenter

With that many dependants: flights, school places, medical, visa and accommodation allowance (if given)...

Plus excluding large cities + no China + no ME.

It's a tough ask.

yasf and dumbbells66 like this.
  8. yasf

Depends how real the OP wants the adventure. I was getting hints of a romanticised idealism akin to Eat, Pray, Love - hence my suggestion of Bali. Africa can get quite scarily real with plenty of pollution, high levels of dangerous crime and some very socially conservative parts of the continent. They might do well to be a bit more explicit about the whys and wherefores of their decision making.

Imagine avoiding China and the ME, and ending up in a dodgy school in Nigeria - for example.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    dumbbells66 likes this.
  9. Arepa

Arepa New commenter

If you are able to teach at the IB Diploma level, you might consider one of the 18 United World Colleges. Most (not all) are in locations that suit your wishes and all are quite diverse in their faculty and student body.

yasf likes this.
  10. dumbbells66

but generally in large cities.

11. moscowbore

moscowbore Lead commenter

Eastern europe. Romania, Czech Republic, Poland

12. dumbbells66

if you mention Bulgaria three times, does @the hippo magically appear on the forum???? ;)

yasf likes this.
  13. yasf

[​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG]

dumbbells66 likes this.
  14. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

Hello. Did someone mention my name?

15. Unconventional33

Unconventional33 New commenter

I'm not sure you're aware but as far as diversity, you're more likely to find it in large European capitals particularly in Western Europe than in many of the other international teaching locations which are still very much homogeneous outside of the international school students and depending on where you go some of those international schools might be very homogeneous meaning most students are from that particular ethnic or national group.

Unless by diversity, you mean not looking like you or your kids. Also, you excluded China and ME but talk about adventure...I mean those are some pretty adventurous locales on the circuit. It looks like you might want a European country, Eastern Europe perhaps but maybe letting us know where you're from may help or at least which part of Europe.

16. gulfgolf

gulfgolf Established commenter

You're asking for a lot. Be prepared that for positions offering this magical mixture of high pay, adventure, safety, diversity, package for 4 dependents... there will be many many applicants. Be prepared to face stiff competition, and to know that you will need to present yourself as the top of the heap.
    In other words, if a school has 100 credible applicants for a post, there are going to be at least a handful of those which are very good candidates and tick every one of the school's boxes. Even if you're in that handful, someone else in that handful might be single and therefore much cheaper.

salamandes and dumbbells66 like this.
  17. tica

tica New commenter

Adventure? it's got to be Latin America. Costa Rica is family friendly and would provide wonderful opportunities for your kids - as well as the chance to learn another useful language. The capital, San Jose, could never be described as a big city.
    Salaries are generous but I'm not sure what you mean by 'large salary'

18. gulfgolf

Salaries in Costa Rica may be generous for the local market, but not by international standards.

19. tica

tica New commenter

you are basing this on what?
    You get to work in a good school with wonderful students. Live well in a beautiful country; travel, save a bit. What more do you need?

20. gulfgolf

I’m basing it on how much one would have left to save for retirement or pay the mortgage back home.
    Costa Rica is lovely with some nice schools and very pleasant students. No argument there. But the salaries are good enough to support a lovely local life, not to have significant cash left over. And the OP specifically wants a large salary.
    For what it’s worth, I worked in a neighboring country and thoroughly enjoyed it. Loved visiting CR too. But the money is better elsewhere.