1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best ICT software to develop and inspire writing?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by guillotine, Jan 15, 2012.

1. I am looking to buy some new ICT sofware to promote and inspire writing accross school. Can anyone recomend anything? It could be literacy based or cross-curricular.
    Thanks

2. I am looking to buy some new ICT sofware to promote and inspire writing accross school. Can anyone recomend anything? It could be literacy based or cross-curricular.
    Thanks

3. I haven't used one myself yet but I am hearing great things about visualisers. They allow children's work to be shared easily, teachers can give instant feedback and model how to assess (useful for modelling peer assessment in KS2) and are a great incentive for children to write.

4. I agree. Visualisers are brilliant - but make sure you get a good quality one. The one I've got is great if children write in pen, but you can't read it properly in pencil.

As for software, the best thing for writing I've ever used is Photostory, downloadable for free from Microsoft. Children import photos easily (e.g. screen shots from a film or stills from their own drama) and use a microphone to record voiceover. It helps them concentrate on quality of language rather than secretarial skills, the ICT is simple enough not to get in the way but sophisticated enough to be exciting, and it's a great thing to do just prior to a final piece of writing.

5. paul_mc1

paul_mc1 New commenter

Comic Life - great way to make posters or comics. It has lots of super frames and templates all you need to do is add the text. Only criticism of it is that it doesn't have a spell checker built into it. That said, the results are superb!