1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best ICT qualification

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by taffytasha66, May 11, 2011.

1. Hi
    I teach 7 kids at a PRU in Wales and want to know what ICT qualifications people would recommend.
    There are limited resources, and the ability of the kids is foundation GCSE or below.
    Attendance is also an issue.
    They don't do well in exams, so anything portfolio based would be better. I also have limited planning time, so need something that has resources already available.
    Thanks for any input.
    T

2. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

So, you want the children, who don't attend school, do well in exams, have a low starting point to take a qualification in ICT and you have no resources or planning time for these 7 children?
    Sorry, can't help.

3. Why not do ESW Entry Level task set by exam board? Though you will have to teach pupils the required skills first.

4. I thought that the forum would be a good place to get some assistance from those who are teaching ICT at the moment. Although I qualified as ICT/Business teacher, I have been working in all subject areas and wanted some up to date information.
    I'd like to point out that I also teach these pupils English and Maths which are normally considered the priority where I come from. Even though there are only 7 kids, they have managed to pass OCN certificates but my superiors would like something a bit more tangible. As I teach other children from primary to secondary every day as well, my time is limited, I have no budget for resources and I am doing a bloody good job so far with them! Even the lowest ability has just passed C&G literacy and numeracy.

5. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Have you considered the ECDL? It is modular in format so students can do the individual units and if they do them all gain a well recognised qualification. You can start it lower down the age range as well.

6. colwynexile

colwynexile Occasional commenter

Pity it's such a negative reply. Truely a school boy error from the the poster
    Taffy - salute you bach for caring about the kids we have nightmares about and wanting them to do well despite their issues.
    I'd agree with Demsley and go down ECDL route. If anything you can pick just 1 topic and work with them knowing that if they don't complete all 7 modules, they can at least get the training from Learn Direct (or what ever it will be, if there is one) to finish it off.

7. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Hmm problem with ECDL is that it equates to a B grade GCSE and therefore if these kids are low ability then it might be a bit beyond them, and having taught it I wonder if these sorts of students would actually take to the dry nature of it. I accept that they can complete the units at a later date, but there is a 3 year time slot from start to completion IIRC, and prob then also is that they ultimatley leave the OP with no qualification which sort of defeats the object.
    Isn't there something like digital creator or imedia that might be more fit for purpose? I confess I don't know the entry/lower level course details

8. "So, you want the children, who don't attend school, do well in exams, have a low starting point to take a qualification in ICT and you have no resources or planning time for these 7 children?"

Sounds like OCR Nationals level 3 is your baby.

9. A cue for hollow laughter if ever I heard one.

However, on that theme, you could try Level 1.