1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best handheld vacuum?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by impulce, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Sad as it is, I have finally got the 'ok' from the OH to purchase another vacuum. We have very very very old Dyson thats been passed on by his parents, and its just not very good now. We dont want to buy an expensive upright because a lot of our house is laminate floor - but we have 3 cats, one of which sheds a LOT and I like the idea of a handheld that I can just whizz around all the gaps where dustbunnys gather and use on the stairs which are carpetted too.
    It seems that the Dyson handhelds get the best review but they are pricey at around £160. Does anyone else have one who can vouch for their worth? Or recommend anything else?

2. You get little dyson uprights for less than that which weigh nothing and fold down small.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

We had this (or very similar. I think it may have been the DC16):
    http://www.dyson.co.uk/store/product.asp?product=DC34-IRSYE
    Biggest drawback was that I only got less than 10 mins use from a full charge - and this wasn't a fault - this was the way it was designed. It was also very bulky and didn't reach into small spaces because of its shape. I really regretted buying it - total waste of a lot of money [​IMG]
    Read reviews carefully and don't pay much attention to the reviews on the Dyson site - read from other suppliers.

4. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

I have the DC35 http://www.dyson.co.uk/store/product.asp?product=DC35-IRSBL (and we paid a small fortune here for it in Aus) I LOVE it [​IMG]
    The charge is a bit pants (14ish mins) but I find with the style of the hoover you don't need to get it out to do the whole house (which you tend to do with a bulkier hoover that's a pain to get out) we just do a room here and there. There's three attachments (also a pet version which may have more) and it does everything we wanted.
    I'd happily recommend it to anyone.
    If you are stuck on budget from all the reviews I read the Black and Decker Pivot 18V also got good reviews if you don't want to floor extension (to use it as a normal vacuum) x

5. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Impulce, I have been meaning to buy a handheld for AGES. We have a Henry Hoover and it's a pain to take out for a 2 minute job ... not to mention bulky to store.
    My mum had the Dyson one you speak of but it broke very quickly after buying. She replaced it with a Miele and said it's the best she's ever owned.
    I've just had a very quick peek on the John Lewis website and they have a fair few cheap handhelds (surprisingly!). The good thing about JL is that they offer a free extended warranty and they'll also price match if you find it cheaper elsewhere.
    Another idea might be to try Lakeland?
    Let me know what you go for!

6. OH is now being grumpy and saying he doesnt think we should spend money on one.

....So I am making a point of noticing every opportunity around the house where one may be handy. "Why look, a crumb on the sofa...Let me just go and haul the big vacuum downstairs, plug it in and hoover it up...or I could just brush it onto the floor...if only we had a handheld."

7. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Gah, I would struggle with a man who didn't 'allow' me to purchase a decent, necessary household appliance!
    It's not like the current one cost anything, as it was a hand-me-down ... which now doesn't work well and is probably very unhygienic!
    Apologies if I speak out of turn [​IMG]

8. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Another thing you could do is try Gumtree for a good, secondhand model. Handhelds strike me as the kind of thing that people buy but don't bother using all that much.
    Or maybe even grab a freebie on Freecycle?

9. I suppose its not STRICTLY necessary, the old upright does work just badly. Its just something i've decided I really want :p

10. Mission Accomplished. I ground him down with my incessant babbling then grabbed the opportunity and dashed out the door once he said yes.
    I went for the Dyson DC34 Animal - pricey at £160 but has a special attachment that will hopefully get rid of the thick layer of flipping cat fur that the big hoover wont touch! Its got to charge for a few hours before I can use it but will report back!

11. tartetatin

tartetatin New commenter

Hooray - good on you!
    I used my mum's (before it broke, but I think one of the youngest grandchildren had something to do with that [​IMG]) and found it an absolute dream to use. So easy to manoeuvre. So light, and compact to store.
    Jealous now!
    (oh if any comfort, mum paid £200+ for hers when it first came out, so at least it's gone down in price since then).