1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best Graphing Calculator

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by PaulDG, May 3, 2012.

1. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

TI Nspire or Casio Prizm?

Or something else?

I want a calculator that I can use to get 6th form on board with using calculators well - the TI-81s and 2s we have around the place don't impress.

(Does the Nspire do numeric simplification yet? Can it simplify "root 8" to "2 root 2" like £5 casios do?)

2. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

TI Nspire or Casio Prizm?

Or something else?

I want a calculator that I can use to get 6th form on board with using calculators well - the TI-81s and 2s we have around the place don't impress.

(Does the Nspire do numeric simplification yet? Can it simplify "root 8" to "2 root 2" like £5 casios do?)

3. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

I know clamshell phones are probably on the way out, but show your students a clamshell graphic calculator and they are sure to be wowed. The Casio FX7500G is one to look out for:

http://casio.ledudu.com/pockets.asp?type=93&lg=eng

You may even have one at the back of a cupboard somewhere. Check it out! ;-)

4. I'm a big fan of the TI-Nspire, particularly the new colour one.
    In answer to your question the Nspire still doesn't handle surds (I'm told this is something to do with US exam regs), which is annoying! But it makes up for that in many ways... You can download a 30day trial of the software to have a play with from the TI website which will give you an idea of what you can do with it.

5. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

The Ti-Nspire is a pretty nifty calculator. Its more powerful version, the cx CAS will do surds. Perhaps that would be a suitable consideration?

6. The 'CAS' bit implies to me that it wouldn't be allowed in a UK exam, however (I don't know as I've not checked its functions).

7. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I would suspect almost definitely not!

8. The CAS versions of the TI nspire are definitely not allowed on IB exams, though IBO now seem to be pushing thenon-CAS version of the nspire. The nspire is different from the TI-84/83/etc. and takes a bit of getting used to, but it is the best I have seen.