1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best ESOL qualification

Discussion in 'EAL' started by bramblesarah, Apr 17, 2020.

1. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

Hi all,
    I am a qualified secondary Maths teacher. I am taught some ESOL and also functional skills. I have been approached about some ESOL jobs but I currently don't have a formal qualification. I have seen that TEFL are doing 50% off on their 120 hour course and as we are all stuck inside anyway it seems like a good time to get a qualification done. I am a bit confused about the different courses. There seems to be CELTA and DELTA as well as TEFL. I don't want to end up doing a course that doesn't count when I apply for jobs.
    In addition I am also dyslexia so should I even be considering teaching ESOL? For background I have a GCSE English Lang (B) GCSE English Lit (A). A levels in Economics, Maths and Philosophy, and a degree in Economics.

janina_knight likes this.
  2. janina_knight

janina_knight New commenter

Hi there,

Having worked in TEFL for many years, I recommend doing either the CELTA or the Trinity TESOL Certificate face-to-face course. You can do it intensively in around one month or part time over one school year. Other qualifications are not internationally recognised or accepted and online TEFL courses are frowned upon by employers. The DELTA and Trinity Diploma are follow-up qualifications which are only for teachers with at least 5 years' TEFL experience.

With regards to your qualifications, you would be accepted and your teaching experience is very useful. I would suggest buffing up on English grammar beforehand. Knowledge or study of a foreign language is also beneficial as you can put yourself in the learners' shoes.

Good luck! :)

bramblesarah likes this.
  3. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

Thanks you very much for your reply. That makes sense it relation to what I have been reading online and has cleared up my confusion. :)

4. grdwdgrrrl

grdwdgrrrl Occasional commenter

The EAL Academy have an online course . It’s mostly for EAL teachers or classroom teachers. You get tertiary credit.
    It depends where you want to work.