1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best effort yet and progress walls

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by at64, Mar 3, 2016.

1. at64

at64 New commenter

Is it me? We have to have a progress wall, showing 2 children's work throughout the year with a good point and an area to improve, and a best effort yet walI showing children's best work. Tell me please, how does this help 4 and 5 year olds learn better? I show them when the work goes up but you never see them looking at it and non say , 'I wish my writing was up there.'
    Why do management think this is a good idea, does it tick one of their boxes? All it means to me is wasted time updating displays when I could be helping the children develop their learning.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

Oh lord.

jomaimai likes this.
  3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I weep for the children, Can't you make a stand against this nonsense? Who says you have to do it?

jomaimai likes this.
  4. inky

inky Lead commenter

It's about time this forum got off its **** and started questioning again.

jomaimai likes this.
  5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

Depends how you use it, surely?

Talking to the children about interesting learning and areas to improve is a way to develop their learning. Does it have to be writing that goes up on the wall? Could you use photographs instead? Could you talk with the child/a group of children about ways to improve? "Look at Jamie's amazing Lego rocket! Next time he thinks he could add a door so that the astronauts can get in and out."

Or, if it has to be writing, do a weekly writing session during phonics lessons and choose a few pieces of work to stick up or photocopy (if using mini whiteboards). ACE Early Years do daily 'Super Sentences' writing and choose two Super Sentence Writers of the week each Friday: http://www.aceearlyyears.com/inside.html (scroll down to find the bit about Super Sentences)

Make a bit of a ceremony about it on a Friday afternoon/Monday morning, give out a sticker/certificate/lucky dip to the children whose work is up on the wall, and you'll suddenly find children are more keen to see there work up there ;)