1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best distance learning route to becoming a trained teacher

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by lkw87, Nov 15, 2018.

1. lkw87

lkw87 New commenter

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any advice on the distance learning route to becoming a trained teacher.

I'm currently living outside of the UK in Norway, having moved here temporarily with my partner for his job. I've been thinking about training to be a teacher and have been volunteering at our local international school for a bit of insight. I'm really enjoying it so far and have decided I would like to train to be a teacher, but the problem I am having is finding a route that's affordable and doable while I'm living here.

Has anyone else done a distance learning PGCE, or know of someone who has? Any advice would be much appreciated as I'm pretty stuck!

Thanks very much,
    Laura

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

The iPGCE requires you to be working as a teacher while you study it. Perhaps there might be opportunities at the school where you're volunteering? Some schools are willing to support people through the degree. I think only Nottingham and Sunderland offer it in the UK.

Be careful though because the iPGCE does not actually teach you how to teach (it's all theory based, with no assessment of your classroom teaching), and as such it does not qualify you to teach in the UK, as it does not confer QTS. There are other ways to get QTS in future if you ever return to the UK, but it all adds to the struggle.

agathamorse likes this.
  3. lkw87

lkw87 New commenter

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate your advice! I think I'll have a chat to the school and see if they will support me through it, explain the situation with QTS, etc.

agathamorse and blueskydreaming like this.