1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best cover songs

Discussion in 'Personal' started by coffeekid, Jul 3, 2019.

1. dalersmith

dalersmith Occasional commenter

I had all but forgotten about these Billy Bragg and Kirsty McCall, Billy wrote A New England it is a track on his album, Life's a riot with spy vs spy. Kirsty sang it after Billy wrote two more verses for her, still prefer Billy Bragg's version, more edge to it.

2. dalersmith

dalersmith Occasional commenter

Human League does the theme tune to Get Carter,

3. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I would have thought from the lyrics that this song was about the San Fernando Valley in California, but Wikipedia tells me I'm wrong. Apparently it was inspired by a road in New Jersey. You learn something new every day. :)

Also, how could I have not included lifelong mentalist John Otway's unique interactive version of House of the Rising Sun? Most remiss of me:

"That's two things" - cracks me up every time.:D

fraisier likes this.
  4. fraisier

fraisier Occasional commenter

There’s a big difference in perspective in the lyrics between the two songs although the tune is the same. Comme d’habitude is not the most uplifting song that’s for sure, especially when you watch that 1967 black & white YT clip of Claude François (my post #74), but it’s bound to feel melancholy as it’s about a love that's slowly dying whereas My Way is about life, about someone who looks back at his life with satisfaction, although there’s a certain sadness in the lyrics too (“and now, the end is near and so I face the final curtain” […] "I've had my fill my share of losing and now, as tears subside").

Comme d’habitude certainly had an impact: over 1,300 versions of it were made across the world by nearly 600 artists. Sadly, Claude François, an obsessive and not the sharpest tool in the box it has to be said, died of the stupidest possible death in 1978 aged 39 only: he was electrocuted while trying to change a lightbulb… as he was having a bath (definitely worthy of a Darwin Award!).

Leading French Popular Singer, Claude Francois, in Home Mishap https://www.nytimes.com/1978/03/12/archives/leading-french-popular-singer-claude-francois-in-home-mishap.html

5. fraisier

"Aux armes et cætera", the reggae cover of La Marseillaise by Serge Gainsbourg (1979, big hit, 300.000 copies sold in just a few weeks, recorded in Jamaica with Bob Marley’s backing singers).

It is an understatement to say that the song divided opinion at the time, the right-wing daily Le Figaro in particular was outraged (there was no Front National at the time - it existed but was a micro party - and basically, the mainstream right, the RPR, channelled the far right vote). Paratroopers and other "patriots" famously threatened Gainsbourg of various unpleasant things and 200 of them stormed a Strasbourg concert hall in January 1980 before a concert and managed to get it cancelled. As a response, as Jane Birkin (his girlfriend) was begging him to leave the hall, he went to see the troopers and sang the real Marseillaise a capella in front of them. It took some balls and I think they applauded him IIRC, or at least didn't beat him up!

6. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The song Lilac Wine was written by James Shelton and was first performed by Hope Foye. It was first released by Eartha Kitt with Henri René and His Orchestra ...

7. fraisier

This cover of Amsterdam by French rock-punk band Parabellum is a cracker (saw them in concert in the mid-1980s):

Stonking cover of Piaf’s L’hymne à l’amour by rock band Cyclope, also saw them (at the Bataclan) in the 1980s:

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Not sure is this is a cover as Tony Christie is singing with Kaye miming. Apolgied for the inclusion of a certain James Saville in the video

9. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

10. Duke of York

11. Duke of York

12. magic surf bus

13. Duke of York

14. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Mrs Blazer made me do it:confused:

15. blazer

blazer Star commenter

16. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

The inevitable:

17. Duke of York

I thought this was an interesting take on In the Mood, since the backing vocalists attempt to create a sound similar to a big band.

18. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter

19. magic surf bus

This may have already been posted, but what the Hell, I heard it again today:

cissy3 likes this.
  20. Spiritwalkerness

Spiritwalkerness Star commenter