1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best Carpenter's song

Discussion in 'Personal' started by dozymare1957, Aug 11, 2012.

1. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Just because I was confused by the title of another thread, I thought I'd start this![​IMG]
    I used to love the Carpenters and happily sang along to all their songs. Some of my favourites are
    Yesterday Once More
    Jambalaya
    Rainy Days and Mondays
    Did anyone else enjoy singing along with Karen and Richard?

2. emilystrange

emilystrange Star commenter

ME! hardened goth that i am, there's nothing like a good carpenter's sing!

3. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

LOL Emily

4. anteater

anteater New commenter

She had a great voice, that's for sure, and many of the songs were very catchy, although not really my favourite kind of music.
    Did anyone catch the doc on BBC4 the other day about Easy Listening music? The Carpenters were heavily featured in it, with lots of interviews with Richard. It was interesting to see how "easy listening" came to be rebranded as "adult contemporary", probably to make it sound less naff. Apparently Richard Claydermann is the best selling artist in that genre.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

The sun was shining on the sea,
    Shining with all his
    might:
    He did his very best to make
    The billows smooth and bright--
    And
    this was odd, because it was
    The middle of the night.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

7. I'd classify them as pop music rather than 'easy listening'.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Richard Clayderman - oh yes, we had that tape when I was young.
    The Carpenters - I love her voice. She was just such an amazing singer and I love watching the documentaries about them.
    I could happily listen to any of their songs. Closer to you and Rainy days are the top ones.

9. anteater

anteater New commenter

According to Richard C, lots of people believed that Rainy Days and Mondays was about drug use. But he said it wasn't.