1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best candidate no job offer!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by kjmushroom, Nov 7, 2011.

1. <font size="4">I feel for you! </font><font size="4">I was told by a head that I was the best candidate on the day and that she wanted to appoint me but the HoD thought he could work more effectively with the other candidate (I think he thought I was more of a threat than the other candidate to be honest!) so she had to go with the person who would be line managing me. </font><font size="4">I truly feel that it would have been easier if she had just said that the other candidate was better than me and that was that!! It&rsquo;s awful being told this kind of thing because you know in your heart that you were the best person for the job. Keep at it!! I'm living in hope of one day being that person who gets lucky on the day because like you it hasn&rsquo;t happened yet! Good luck, KJ x</font>

2. well i went to france in dec 2011 and have been working in paris until july, back now and things seem worse to be honest. i have a full time translating job in november for a year at twice the teacher's salary, just have to get through the MOD vetting process.
    ye gods do i want to work in schools? yes i think i do.

3. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Glad to see you back on the \forum, Timbo, and also glad to hear that your financial situation seems more secure for the next year.
    Best wishes

4. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

It normally takes between a few hours and days to get out of the 'feeling sorry' phase. I have picked myself up again 16 times and counting since March, so can you!

I have also been told I was the best candidate 'out of 6 lessons yours was Good with elements of Outstanding and the best of the 6' but lost out to an NQT before. All you can do is apply, apply, apply, eventually that ball has to cross the net and it be YOU that gets the job!

5. scienceteacha

scienceteacha New commenter

Im with Theo on this, the Teacher's pay spine just serves to favour inexperience!!! And does absolutely nothing for job security as teachers get more experienced, as they find themselves increasingly likely to have capability instigated against them just so the Head can appoint someone cheaper. Why not just pay all teachers the median, say about &pound;26k-&pound;27k and let schools give annual bonuses of up to say &pound;5k based on exam results? I'm sure those on M5-UPS3 in schools where they will stay until 65 will carp but there are alos many, many M5+ers doing supply who are not even getting &pound;6k-&pound;7k per year!

6. I know the feeling. At the genuine interviews i have attended, it has always been the cheaper candidate who gets the job. What i did find strange was one job for which i was sent through an agency, which paid a flat, daily rate; I was told by the school that i was the only suitable candidate they had had; still didn't get the job though. Mind you; you get told all sorts of thngs!