1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best books to teach about consequences

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by caitlinasullivan, Nov 3, 2015.

1. caitlinasullivan

caitlinasullivan New commenter

Hi all,

I'm looking for some good books to read to my Reception class to teach them that actions have consequences.
    They struggle with the concept that something they do can hurt someone else's feelings.
    I am yet to find any and need some recommendations.

Thank you! :)

2. curtism

curtism New commenter

Giraffe's Can't Dance
    Beegu
    The Smartest Giant in Town
    The Elephant and the Bad Baby
    Not Now Bernard
    There are simply hundreds of children's books with a 'consequences' theme. But don't forget to turn this round and have stories about what fun it can be to work together and get on, focusing on the positive - look at Jenny Mosley circle time activities.

3. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

I agree with Giraffe's Cant Dance, it's a great book.

http://www.kidslikeme.co.uk/70-early_years_books has some books called 'Words are not for Hurting' and a few other similar titles about biting/pulling etc which we have used with our children.

I would also recommend having a puppet or a class bear which you can use during a short circle time to discuss the theme. After one particular incident I acted as though our puppet was very sad because they'd heard two children saying unkind words. We discussed how our actions impact our feelings at a very age appropriate level that was child led. We then established a 'golden rule' about treating others how you want to be treated.