1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best books to read aloud

Discussion in 'Primary' started by PinkZebras, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Apologies if this has been done before, I did a search but only found posts from several years ago so thought I'd start a new one :)

I'm wondering what your favourite books are to read aloud to your classes? It would be great to have a big thread of good books for all age groups.

2. I have just read Clockwork by Philip Pullman to our Year 5 and 6 and they have loved it. We have a radio station so I read it across the air waves!
    I am doing a Jeremy Strong book next week for Year 3 and 4.

3. UKS2 classes love Holes by Louis Sachar. It also has short chapters which helps!

4. Varjak Paw, S.F. Said
    I have read it to yr5 a number of times. It is great, children love it and each short chapter ends with a cliff hanger. Highly recommend it!

5. I'm reading The Magic Faraway Tree with my Y3/4 class (we read The Enchanted Wood last term), which they absolutely adore. I made a point of getting the original versions without any of the over-the-top politically correct alterations, and the kids haven't even commented on the names of the children!