1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best bedroom fitters/decorators/designers?

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Gemspecs, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Gemspecs

Gemspecs New commenter

Basically, have been saving up for a while and wanted to know from more experienced TES-ers what company/brand (if any) did they go with for getting their bedroom redone? We currently have an ancient, dark mahogany set of fitted wardrobes,doors and drawers that have been in since we moved (18 months ago), but as yet have found more pressing things to spend our pennies on! We have a sloping roof across half of the bedroom, so the wardrobes have been fitted with this in mind-the 'proper ceiling-height' space is limited and on the wrong side of the room to fit standard height wardrobes (if that make sense), so the wardrobes slope against the roof to maximise space. We were thinking of having a newer, lighter and sturdier set fitted, but perhaps with a slightly different layout. We will also need the whole room plastering doing before the designing/fitting can take place (crumbling around windows and ceiling cracked) -do any companies offer this too as part of their package, or are we likely to have to get that done by a plasterer specifically?

Please also advise if you think we are just best attempting this ourselves-OH is pretty good at most DIY and can build shelves etc( albeit sloooowly!)-bar plastering! We also have family members/friends that may be able to help with the work. It just seems like quite a daunting task, and if it isn't TOO much more to pay a company to come in and fit the lot, I'd rather save the DIY induced headaches and shouting :D.

Any advice welcome! (Oh, and based in the Midlands, if that's any help!)

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter

You could employ a plasterer separately to replaster the room and then have a company in to fit the wardrobes. I think, but I may be wrong, it is unlikely that you'd get a company to do both jobs.

As you are in the midlands, have you looked at Hammonds bedroom furniture? (They are based in the midlands but also have branches across the country). We had some wardrobes and drawers built in by them and they did a pretty good job. They are not the cheapest, but could be used for design ideas (they send a designer round) which you could then use to assess if you can do the job yourself, or look at other manufacturers.

needabreak and grumpydogwoman like this.
  3. Eureka!

Eureka! Lead commenter

Have you watched any of BBC2' "Great Interior Design Challenge". Awful name, but usually a very good show. I think Sharps Bedrooms or somebody like that will cost a lot and you will get a bland result.

It doesn't sound like you need to project manage in any big way. A plasterer will do (skim refinish) your walls for a few hundred quid and your ceiling for a couple more. If you have floorboards you could hire a sanding machine. Get the shell done and then have a think. Be adventurous. Have a theme.Use lovely old furniture - maybe in conjunction with DIY shelving decorated to blend in. Make four posters! You could have a giant mural on one wall from the net. If you have a new ceiling you could even put a ceiling mural up surrounded by a lightweight frame painted gold and have a room that looks like a stately home!

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

AK interiors do kitchens / bathrooms and bedrooms and have contractors who do different parts of the job. Shops in Kenilworth, Solihull, Studley and Bromsgrove. We are pleased with kitchen and bathroom jobs but the designer said in our tiny bedroom he couldn't improve on what we'd got and suggested we saved our money. That was a bit annoying but we have taken his advice so far. Maybe the job looked too tricky - I'm not sure.

5. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

A good show indeed, but I wouldn't call them in to do anything to my property, it's experimental which can be fine in the right setting but their finishing is cheap and often shoddy, not unlike 60 minute makeover, but with amateurs working on peoples property. As for their ideas on what looks good, I only watched the final all the way through and frankly I think they could have benefitted from going to art school or on interior design courses, we all know that we often think we can do things we simply are not skilled at making a success of. However luckily it seems the OP has got an idea of what they want and someone with DIY skills on hand.

@Gemspecs, I guess it depends on how confident your other half feels about doing it as well as if they have done anything similar before as well as how happy you will be with the finish. Years ago my other half and I fitted some sliding wardrobe doors and interiors, they worked fine for as long as we needed them to which was years and years, they were very cost effective although I guess a pro could have got a better finish and a nicer bespoke look but our budget was such that we had no choice. Had we had the thousands of pounds to hire a firm to do it I think we would have.

6. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

We had Sharps, but it was years ago and we have moved three times since then. It was fine at the time, but the initial salesman was rather pushy. I think Hammonds have a good reputation or Neville Johnson, but they may be expensive.

All of the DIY companies do fitted bedroom ranges, so you could look at them and maybe get a carpenter to put it together. I don't know whether they do a planning service as they do for kitchens.

7. Gemspecs

Gemspecs New commenter

Thanks all-will have a chat with the OH and consider our options!

marlin likes this.