1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

best assemblies.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by slippeddisc, Jan 24, 2011.

1. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

I thought it might be useful to start a thread about our best assemblies to help give us a bank of ideas. I'm sure I'm not alone in hating doing assemblies and this might help us feel less stressed about it!

I think the best one I ever saw was an assembly about Haiti. My deputy head showed the most moving slideshow of Haiti images to a very inspiring song (I can't for the life of me remember the song name but it was really moving). She then read a story about a couple who had had the nearest miss when they altered their daily plans and where they should have been would have almost certainly killed them. It was so moving that there were several kids and adults crying and that's something I have never seen from an assembly before. It really made the children realise how lucky they were.

Does anyone want to add an assembly? It would be great if you do.

2. slippeddisc

slippeddisc New commenter

3. I like the one about 'fitting things in'.
    You have an empty jar, some sand, some grit and some larger stones. You talk aout how hard it is to fit everything in your life- family, friends, homework, tidy your room etc. Explain that some things are really small (sand), others a bit more important (grit) and others are very important (stones). Try putting the sand, then grit, then stones in the jar- they won't fit. Then the grit, then sand then stones they won't fit. (You'll have to have 3 sets of sand, grit and stones or separate them again (which brings in some science).
    Pretend you are fed up and can't fit them all in- can the children think of anything you haven't tried.
    Then put the stones first (the important things), then the grit (the less important things) then the sand (the smaller things). Everything fits. Explain that we can fit everything in our lives if we put the important things in first and put the less important and small things around them.
    Your prayer is about asking God for help to make sure that the little, unimportant things don't push out important things in our lives like our family and health.