1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best AQA GCSE Literature texts

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by snezzelle, Aug 20, 2020.

1. snezzelle

snezzelle New commenter

Hi all.

We currently run the AQA Literature course and use Romeo and Juliet, Jekyll and Hyde and Animal Farm as our texts for all groups. What texts are used out there in your departments? Would anyone recommend we change any of our choices or if their school uses different texts for different ability groups (we could do this as our school is large with year groups above 300).

Any suggestions or comments are more than welcome.

2. Hi,

We also use those three texts, and we have large year groups too! We also focus solely on Power and Conflict for the Anthology - looking into it further, it's overwhelmingly preferred in the exam by students/departments (about 80/20 split). Examiners' reports state yearly that An Inspector Calls is studied by about 60% of pupils, followed by Blood Brothers and Lord of the Flies, with Animal Farm a distant fourth.

For P1, Macbeth seems to studied by about 60%, with Romeo and Juliet second on about 30%, and Much Ado in third.
    Christmas Carol is the most popular on about 50%, with Jekyll second on 30%, then Sign of Four.

Both of our schools have chosen texts that are not the automatic first choice of the majority, which is interesting - is it ease of understanding, ease of passing or engagement with the text that has the most weighting for teachers and departments, I wonder? It's a precarious balance ...

3. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

At my school we cover Rom and Jul, A Christmas Carol, An Inspector Calls, Power and conflict poetry - I think the texts chosen depend on the school and historic cohort - personally, I prefer schools that allow teachers to choose their preferred texts to teach their classes, as all skills are more or less covered..This year the poetry has been dropped as all P2 has been covered, so focus in Sept will be Lang P1 and P2 and revision of literature.