1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best advice given

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by lucasacademy, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Never ask for silence unless you absolutely intend to I force it ... Quiet is usually enough ... Silence is hard to maintain

2. Never ask for silence unless you absolutely intend to I force it ... Quiet is usually enough ... Silence is hard to maintain

3. Quiet is enough for what?

Not teaching, I hope.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Excellent advice for anything you ask for.
    But not always.
    No it isn't. Depends on what is going on. If you have to work hard to maintain the silence then there is something wrong. But often silence can be maintained with no effort at all, these are the times when silence is probably essential.

5. spiderwomen

spiderwomen New commenter

As a Class Teacher I've expected my class to work in total silence during the morning. The afternoon is a little more relaxed. When I say silence- I damn well mean it! Takes a while to train children but does work. Quiet is too vague and if you let them talk, the noise increases. As a supply teacher it's a completely different ball game but I've still managed it with the majority of classes. However, period of time they remain quiet doesn't always last!

6. It might depend on the age of the children, bu, this year, I've found silence much easier to enforce than 'quiet'! My current class are loud by default and are either noisy or silent.
    I would agree that silence is sometimes essential.

7. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

My best advice ever was from a grizzled old vet* who told me this (secrets of the ancients Klaxon):
    'They need boundaries; they crave boundaries; they resent boundaries.' It's the paradox at the heart of teaching children, that can only be explained with reference to the contradictory nature of the human spirit.
    Read more from Tom here on his blog, or
    follow him. His latest book, Teacher, is out this month, published by Continuum/ Bloomsbury

*veteran, not veterinarian.That would just be weird.

8. Best advice I got when I started was from my school mentor on my first PGCE placement:

"The two worst words in the teacher's vocabulary are 'group work'. Don't do it".

9. joedoggyuk

joedoggyuk New commenter

I love silence. It's a beautiful sound to hear; seeing it with your eyes is even more incredible: a whole class completely engrossed in their work to a stage where nothing else but the work matters to them in that moment.

I've seen pupils spend most of a lesson dawdling to write a paragraph in a "quiet" setting, but on the insistence of silence their pen comes to life and they write pages of quality.

Just what counts as "quiet" anyway? Michael Marland made the point that what counts as quiet is unclear; are you allowed to only talk about the work? Do you whisper or talk softly? Can you talk about football? Trying to enforce this one is tricky.

Quiet is continuous, silence is discontinuous; it's clear what is to be expected from the children: they don't talk. At all.

That being said, there's one sound I like more. The sound of my voice.

10. joedoggyuk

joedoggyuk New commenter

11. casper

casper New commenter

There are times when silence is a requirement, especially when explaining lesson objectives. A very tough call when other staff in the school allow pupils to talk through the explaining of their lesson objectiveness.

12. Sometimes children will tell you what they want. Often they will tell you what they need. If you listen to them you should be able to tell the difference. If you don't listen to them at all how will you ever find what they need from you?

13. Need for what purpose?

You only need things for a particular purpose. Even oxygen you only need for the purpose of staying alive. It is nonsense to talk about needs divorced from purposes.

http://teachingbattleground.wordpress.com/2008/11/01/needs/

14. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Cobblers. I am a professional, they are children. What they want and what they need are not always the same.
    I'd have thought this would be obvious.

15. I don't know what subject the postings to date are referring to, but I can't imagine a good maths lesson often being quiet or silent. Evidence overwhelmingly supports the benefits of talk in the subject. The sweetest sound is not silence, but that excited buzz of children bouncing ideas off each other as they explore the subject.

We have one 'Big Writing' session a week when we expect the children to work in silence, that is the only time I'd expect to find it, at least in a primary school.