1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best adaptation of a dreadful book?

Discussion in 'Book club' started by SEBREGIS, Nov 13, 2017.

1. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

People frequently claim that the film of the book is not as good. Oddly, I think that sometimes it's the other way around. The director manages to find a diamond hidden within the festering clinker which was the original novel. For instance:

"Do Android Dream of Electric Sheep?" Bizarre waffle by an author writing too fast, under the influence of Payote and dog food. It was filmed as 'Blade Runner", possibly the best science fiction movie of all time. This was achieved mostly by ignoring vast chunks of the original book and allowing Ridley Scott to put in place an awesome set of visuals.

"The English Patient." Dreadful pseudo-intellectual waffle that was barely readable, imbued as it was with a crumbling sense of epic pretentiousness, struggling to define the conflict between east and west, which made it a 200-page entry to pseuds corner. And - you know - boring ****. Which was then beautifully filmed by Anthony Mingella, with a cast that brought the characters to life. I cry every damned time I see that film.

Anyone got other suggestions?

asnac and galerider123 like this.
  2. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

The Lord of the Rings trilogy. I am somewhat ashamed to admit that I tried multiple times in my youth to read these, and frankly was so bored by the long descriptive passages that I finally gave up (despite the enthusiastic protestations of other people). The films were breathtaking and the last one brought me to tears. So glad they made those films.

3. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

"If you get past the Mines of Moria you'll be hooked. You won't be able to put it down."
    I did.
    I wasn't.
    I could.

4. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

:D:D:D