1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Best A Level specification for 'self taught' course

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by TonyM19, Nov 1, 2015.

1. TonyM19

TonyM19 Occasional commenter

Hi

Been 15+ years since I've taught A level Maths (been in 11-16 since then). My daughter is working as a Learning Mentor in an 11-18 school. She got a good Maths GCSE (and Statistics), but is struggling working alongside some of the Y12 students. She has asked if I could work alongside her to 'self teach' the course and maybe look for a private entry for the exam. She seems pretty motivated to get stuck into this and (sadly) I quite fancy the challenge of re-visiting the course. Thoughts? Any suggestions as to the best course and any supporting materials?

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

She'd probably be best talking to the school she's working in - they might be willing to enter her (and taking the exam there will involve less time off work), provided they know that you'll provide the teaching. They might well have the odd spare copy of the textbooks they use, and be willing to throw other resources her/your way - maybe let her join in the students' mock exam. Seeing that an adult is studying is no bad thing for the school students.

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Yes, I agree with the idea of using the same board as the school. There is also a need to get on with it - next Septmber sees the last set of Year 12 students starting the old A level. After that, it is likely to be harder.

4. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

@TonyM19

I have attempted to post the following advice three times since 7:00 a.m. yesterday, 2nd November, but have been unsuccessful each time due to allegations of 'personal attack' so this time I have edited for personal pronouns. Do take this as very general advice and in no way necessarily pertaining to anything you have written in your opening post, alright? I've attempted subtlety but you might see the join if you look carefully:

Pragmatically [a hypothetical person without A-Level maths] teaching or supporting A-Level maths students should learn, backwards & forwards, the specification taught where [that hypothetical person without A-Level maths] works otherwise [that hypothetical person without A-Level maths] risks being [a hypothetical person without A-Level maths] failing to teach or support A-Level maths students.

It is essential and even ethical for an instructor to be educated to at least one level higher than the course in which they instruct so if [a hypothetical person without A-Level maths] is to continue supporting A-Level maths students then [that hypothetical person without A-Level maths] should work towards a degree in mathematics else [that hypothetical person without A-Level maths] cannot be expected to support the learning of those A-Level maths students who are planning this very thing the following year. QTS is neither here nor there but why should anyone else's children settle for an instructor unqualified in their subject when we would not put up with this for our own children?

5. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

In my not so humble opinion, there's little to choose from between the different boards. The only really bad difference I have seen is the way OCR handle variance/standard deviation. They start off with the sample variance, which is totally ret@rded and confuses the hell out of students later on.

6. TonyM19

TonyM19 Occasional commenter

Thanks for the advice. I'll get her to follow it up with the school.

7. sarahtaylor999

sarahtaylor999 New commenter

You need to look at M4ths (I've just bought his disc and will be reccomending it to my year 12s) then once you have gone through it all Exam solutions for help with going over papers.

m4thsdotcom likes this.