1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Berlitz

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Justme, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Hello,

Has anyone heard anything regarding this company?

Thanks

2. Yes, they have rigid immersion methods and low pay.

3. What do you mean by immersion methods? As in their curriculum?

I am only looking at their summer camps, not as a long-term position, so not too fussed as they provide accommodation etc.

Thanks

4. landaise

landaise Occasional commenter

You HAVE to teach using only their methods/resources. Pay, as said before, is very poor. I wouldn't touch them with a very long barge pole. If they were any good, there wouldn't be other, more reputable, language schools, would there? If the summer camps are for children, how many kids want to spend their holidays learning English??????????? If for adults, even worse, haven't they got lives???????????

Think about the logic of language summer camps!!!!

5. invincible

invincible New commenter

Among TEFL teachers, Berlitz has one of the worst reputations of all language schools. And one of the worst hourly rates of pay.

6. invincible

invincible New commenter

"how many kids want to spend their holidays learning English???????????"

And, having looked at the job spec, who wants to give up their mornings, afternoons, evenings and weekends to teaach it? And in the holidays?

7. the old joke is:

"repeat after me: the berlitz method, the berlitz method, the berlitz method. ok, next excercise. by the way is anyone recording this?"

my advice is to stay away from these guys. as a trained teacher you will find it incredibly constricting, i expect. the only reason why these guys are still around is that they are cheap.

if you want to do the summer school thing, try different companies. for example, bell language or English First are slightly better. go on to tefl.com for job listings.

8. Went for an Berlitz interview today. The pay is 9 quid an hour (per 45 mins laeeson)! Was astounded.
    I am a fully qualified eacher with a degree, PGCE, Masters and undergraduate German qual.
    How come their pay is so low? I mean they were once the front runners in language teaching!
    Any of you worked for Berlitz? Would you recommend them? Any experiences?

9. AshgarMary

AshgarMary New commenter

I did TEFL supply summer 2007 in London. £13 per hour. PGCE Degrees etc irrelevant. CELTA was what counted. Berlitz don't need you to be trained at all as they teach you their method. You are not supposed to change it, it's just rote learning scripts. I didn't go there! Better if you don't have any training outside of Berlitz.