1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Berlin street food

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by the evil tokoloshe, May 3, 2012.

1. the evil tokoloshe

the evil tokoloshe New commenter

Just a quick question, I'm off to Berlin for a break soon and am looking to live on cheap but tasty street food/ cafe food as much as possible. Any suggestions as to what I should not miss (obviously currywurst is top of the list) or where may be good to eat. I'm also planning a day trip to Hamburg by train (to visit the legendary St Pauli area during the day for the football team I should add) so any Hamburg specialities would be worth trying (food, people, before minds head to the gutter). May also nip to Liepzig for a day so same again.

2. the evil tokoloshe

Just a quick question, I'm off to Berlin for a break soon and am looking to live on cheap but tasty street food/ cafe food as much as possible. Any suggestions as to what I should not miss (obviously currywurst is top of the list) or where may be good to eat. I'm also planning a day trip to Hamburg by train (to visit the legendary St Pauli area during the day for the football team I should add) so any Hamburg specialities would be worth trying (food, people, before minds head to the gutter). May also nip to Liepzig for a day so same again.

3. Obviously a currywurst, but then you have to have one in HH too, as both cities claim to have invented it.
    Just head for an Imbiss - check out the Turkish döners, or lachmun (sp?)
    Berlin: There is a great place on Kastanienalle called W. You will have to try everything!
    Also, look for a "Heiße Theke", which is just a "hot counter" and try some Spießbraten. Or Lebekäse. Or Brathänchen.
    In Hamburg - fish, fish, fish. Get yourself a Rollmops. Or Krabbenbrötchen. Or Backfisch.
    And wherever you are - try all the different sausages. Most places will offer Krakauer, or Thüringer, or just a plain old, delicious, Bratwurst. You get a slice of bread with it, or maybe a bread roll. Has to be eaten with good German mustard.
    And in all three cities you will be able to find a dutch speciality, which Germans have almost made their own - Frikandel mit Pommes Spezial!

4. Check out the sweet stuff as well:
    Berliner
    Krapfen
    Bützelmännchen
    Waffles with hot cherries and cream
    Roasted almonds (the glazed ones are best)
    Arme Ritter
    Kaiserschmarrn (which is actually Austrian, but you find it everywhere in Germany).
    And one more savoury thing - try a Strammer Max. Or Bockwurst with Kartoffelsalat!

5. Oh, and all bakeries sell great filled bread rolls. You have to try all the German breads.
    And try out the cakes! They put them on a little paper tray for you to take away. Take a selection. Of everything.

6. And you can get Erbsensuppe nearly everywhere. Or just order the daily Eintopf in a cafe.
    I shall stop now [​IMG]

7. *** off - you're making me hungry!!!! ;-)

8. And that poxy half cup of meusli with semi-skimmed milk really hasn't hit the spot... :-(

9. I forgot to mention Balkan food.
    Sorrrrrrrrrrrrrry, manashee.

10. the evil tokoloshe

Thanks CQ, thought you would probably be able to give me some pointers. Not sure my pronunciation will be up to scratch but I can always point and say 'Bitte'

11. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I think I'll pass on that one [​IMG]

12. henriette

henriette New commenter

I wouldn't!
    [​IMG]

13. They are delish!

14. Have a great time!
    And do try a proper Pils!!!
    I have a friend in HH, if you need some more tips.