1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Berlin - looking to move there. Any advice appreciated!

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by vanilla007, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Hi,
    I am hoping to move to Berlin for the next academic year (have fallen in love with the place) and would really appreciate and advice/tips on schools, living costs etc. I am also looking to learn German part time.
    Is it best to contact schools directly, go to international fairs or look on here?
    I have worked at a school in London that was run by the devil, so would really like somewhere friendly with good senior management.
    Any help would be great.
    Please email me on: hrdys81@aol.co.uk
    Thanks very much in advance.

2. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Hi vanilla, yes Berlin is a pleasant place to live. It's much cheaper than places like Munich or Frankfurt, and very green with lots of forests rivers and lakes. Having said it's cheap, where you live can make a really big difference. Generally speaking, East Berlin is cheaper: West Berlin (near Charlottenburg for instance) is much more expensive, but very pleasant.

There are quite a few international schools in Berlin. All of them advertise their vacancies on their websites.

I don't want to get this thread pulled, but in view of your comment about the devil, I would advise you to avoid one particular school that has had VERY HIGH TURNOVER (hint - it doesn't offer IB).

Also, be aware that German is a tough language: three years at school, one and a half years hear, and I'm still struggling with it. I found French much easier.

Good Luck.

3. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Just noticed the typos: missing commas and "hear" , before someone starts abusing me about them.

4. Hi,
    Thanks for your post - very helpful!
    What are work/pay conditions like in these schools, or does it simply depend on the school? Are you currently working at an international school in Berlin?
    Thanks