1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Berghmann Laser Cutter - any reviews?

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by JoKay01, Jun 11, 2019.

1. JoKay01

JoKay01 New commenter

Hi, I am a DT Technician, fairly new to the post, and have been charged with procuring a new Laser Cutter after it has become too costly to overhaul our existing Xenetech 600x900 laser cutter. Our funds are more limited now and the three options I have come up with are the Berghmann 60W laser cutter from Tilgear, the LS6090 PRO Laser Cutter from HPC and the TS 6090 80W from Tech Supplies (all water cooled options). My main considerations are the reliability, parts costs and ongoing support for the machines but not having much experience of what to look for I was wondering if anyone had any advise or experience of these machines. Is it more cost efficient in the long term to look at a more costly air cooled machine? At the mo we are leaning towards the Berghmann as the offer seems to be the best but I cannot find any details of where I could get ongoing servicing from. Any advise would be hugely appreciated.

2. Ex-teacher

Ex-teacher Occasional commenter

Cant help you with the new models, and dont know who you are using to overhaul your current machine, but depending where you are in the country, we found the following very helpful and knowledgeable about our universal laser, and I remember that they also supply and service xenetech lasers.

http://www.ukengravingservices.co.uk/

Personally I would steer away from any machine that you cant find out about where to get ongoing servicing from.

JoKay01 likes this.
  3. cosybear

cosybear New commenter

Have you thought about leasing the equipment ?
    I know it is probably more expensive in the long run but it can ease your work load, especially with devices like this which can be rather temperamental
    I've no particular firms in mind , but a quick Google of ' laser cutter leasing' brings up a fair few candidates

JoKay01 likes this.
  4. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The simple answer is yes. The complex answer is also yes, but far more interesting, as it involves getting your head around why anyone in their right mind would pay four times the amount for a laser cutter, if they could have four laser cutters instead.

The only thing the expensive machines share in common with the cheap Chinese machines is the name "laser cutter". In theory both do the same thing, but the technology they use to produce the laser is vastly different and evolved for good reasons.

Glass laser tubes go back to the beginning of laser technology in the 1960s and haven't evolved very much since. Although I know what you mean when you refer to air-cooled lasers, the correct term for these is RF stimulated lasers, since they too were water-cooled until the mid 1990s.

RF lasers were originally developed for military purposes and are far more rugged and responsive than a glass laser can be. They are also far more controllable, safer and produce better results.

It needs to be understood that no laser will last forever, but RF lasers will last far longer than glass lasers and can be given a new lease of life by being re-charged. Glass laser tubes can't be re-charged.

If you ask what the warranty on either laser tube technology is, it will help you understand why no serious business would touch a machine with a glass laser tube with a barge pole. Glass tubes fail frequently. The constraints of their design mean that when a tube is replaced, the optics have to be re-aligned and if you don't know how to do this, you need to add the cost of a service visit to the cost of a laser tube.

RF tubes have been designed to swapped by the user.

Although RF tubes won't last forever, their life expectancy is measured in years. Glass tubes are measured in months.

I can advise you in far more detail why I would never entertain buying a machine with a glass laser tube and frankly the cost of maintaining it would be bottom of the list of reasons. But we can start there. Poor people can't afford to buy cheap things.

JoKay01 likes this.
  5. JoKay01

JoKay01 New commenter

Thank you so much for your replies everyone. Duke of York, your response and the information you have kindly provided has given me lots to think about and is hugely appreciated. What a fab forum this is :).